PDA

View Full Version : stretching leader 30p

blurr95
02-08-2017, 09:28 PM
I hate to ask this, but I need to, I couldn't find anything searching. I hung a 3/4" mainline, Leader 30p, and need to know how much to stretch it. My line is right at 510' long. Is there a percentage to go by like the Rapitube, or what. Help please.

Jason

mellondome
02-08-2017, 10:14 PM
3%? That's what it stretch mine if I'm hanging it cold.

Cody
02-09-2017, 06:21 AM
We have never stretched ours.We hang the high tension wire then follow with the tubing tying it on wire every 12-18 inches with wire ties.Then when were done with that we will side tie it to a tree to make it tighter.Never had any problem with it.

maple flats
02-09-2017, 07:05 AM
I have not used any wire to hang it for 5 years for 1" mainline and the little I have in 3/4", my 1.25" and 1.5" has high tension wire.

rhwells2003
02-10-2017, 06:56 AM
We have never stretched ours.We hang the high tension wire then follow with the tubing tying it on wire every 12-18 inches with wire ties.Then when were done with that we will side tie it to a tree to make it tighter.Never had any problem with it.

Everybody in my neck of the woods does the same.

VT_K9
02-10-2017, 07:53 PM
We run the high tension wire. Then run the pipe (3/4", 1", 1 1/2" all done the same). We put tension on the line to tighten it. If it is during the colder months we put light to moderate tension and come back the next day to put the full tension on it and then tie it with wire ties.

We put enough tension to bring it near parallel to the wire. We have used both a come-a-long and 1" ratchet straps with success. We place the ties every 9-12" along the line. I use a drill with a hook to turn the wire.

This year we have a mainline we are going to re-run. It is the larger of our mainlines. There is an area with quite a bit of slope. While the vac. gauges read fine I believe we can reduce the slope and have better transfer of sap and vac. Se we are going to cut the line at the base of the slope. We'll add a run of high tension wire in parallel to the first run, but about 4-6 feet higher so the slope is less coming down the hill. The actual run for this wire is about 150 feet, which is a lot of distance to tension. So we are going to break up the run at a tree nearly half way. Instead of running ties every 9-12" we are going to try lashing the mainline to the wire (like telephone and power lines) to see if we can speed up the process of hanging mainlines. We will probably put a tie every 5-10' just for feel good sake.

Mike

blurr95
02-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the replys everyone. Got the line up without any problems. Stretched it just a little to take up some slack out of it.

Jason