PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring the stack

VTnewguy
02-08-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm looking for some good advice on how to anchoring the stack. Do you usea certain wire? Anchor to the cupola? What about tying into the stack itself, what kind of hardware should I use? Thanks in advance. -Josh.

maple flats
02-08-2017, 07:07 PM
On my first evaporator I had to have 3 guy wires to support it, because I had no sugarhouse. I just took a piece of sheet metal strap, bent it at about 30 degrees. Then I screwed that to the pipe about a foot from the top. I had attached 3/32" SS guy cable to each of those brackets and I staked the ends so each was about 60 degrees from the other 2. I then attached marker ribbon on each so people wouldn't walk into a guy wire. That worked well.
The next year I had built my Sugar House, bought a 2x6, and the roof steel supported stack.

BrierPatch
02-08-2017, 07:37 PM
I just used a roll of re-bar tie wire or bailing wire. Wrapped around stack and twist to tighten, put a couple of self tapping screws in stack to keep it from slipping down and put 3 stakes in ground with a screw in them and wrap and twist around screw. Pretty quick and simple. Definitely do the marker ribbon. I'm the one who put it up and I was even getting hung up in them forgetting they were there.

sap retreiver
02-09-2017, 05:40 AM
Are you talking about tying down to the sap house roof? I had multiple options and tied it back to itself only because I had a piece of double wall that I could anchor to the stand offs in the pipe. Other wise I was going to anchor to the roof. I'd like to see how others did it also. Like everything else I'll probably change it

maple flats
02-09-2017, 06:03 AM
Mine was when I had no sugar house or roof. I never had a need to tie down to the roof, my roof is plenty high enough, 10' walls then a 6' higher peak, my stack is only 5' out of the peak.

VTnewguy
02-09-2017, 07:41 AM
I think, I'm going to try to anchor to either side of the cupola and the peak of the roof on the other side. Will use cable to secure it with tensioners. Now I just need a volunteer to go up the ladder. lol

VTnewguy
02-12-2017, 07:48 PM
I think it came out pretty good. 15421