PDA

View Full Version : No slope sufflow

MunsterMapler
02-07-2017, 09:05 PM
So here's my situation, I have about 400 ft of 3/4 mainline with about 1/2℅ slope on it, and all my laterals are between 50-75 ft with roughly the same amount of slope. About 80 taps in total. I'm running a suflow pump like many people on the forum and have 15 inches of vaccum on my second lateral closest to the pump. The problem is most of my laterals are full of sap, but it doesn't seem to flow into my mainline that well. I would like to think that 15 inches of vaccum would help it along a little better than it actually is with such little grade change, am I wrong? I waited by my pump for about 10 minutes after I fixed a small leak and wasn't pulling any sap even with my laterals full. Any ideas on fixing my problem

Wanabe1972
02-07-2017, 09:35 PM
It sounds like you have a tight system and the SAP isn't really running that hard. I've seen the the same thing on my little pumps. If you were to create a small leak at your last tap it would empty the line but you would not be gaining anything.

littleTapper
02-08-2017, 06:27 AM
If you have any sap you can setup to recirculate through the pump, that can help. I've read here, and now confirmed myself, that if you can keep the pump moving some liquid, it will pull harder. But, it's early, the trees aren't flowing like they'll do in a few days/weeks.

fuz
02-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Any battery recommendations? Going to set one up no power. How long will the battery last? Any one charging with solar?

Thank you

MunsterMapler
02-08-2017, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure how long it will last on a battery, but from what I've read you should be able to get a couple days out of it. I actually had to hook it up to a battery last night because where my box was located flooded out yesterday and trashed my power supply. My trees were running good the past 2 days like I said my laterals were full of sap. You guys still think that they just aren't running enough to get it going to the mainline?

jmayerl
02-08-2017, 10:18 AM
I have a remote location and a 2088 pump. On a brand new deep cycle marine battery at best I got 12 hours. I will be trying a solar charger this season

Biz
02-08-2017, 11:17 AM
A fully charged deep cycle battery should allow the pump to run much longer than 12 hrs. The pumps only draws about 1-2 amps on my setup, maybe yours is different with more taps? Have used a 70 watt solar panel but I don't have good sunlight where my pumps are, and they do not provide enough charging. But my NAPA 8270 deep cycle marine battery will last about 30-35 hrs with my 4008 Shurflo which is about the same power as yours, maybe a little higher. Suggest at least a 100 watt solar panel with charger. Still might not carry you thought those all night runs followed by a cloudy day, you might have to charge it a couple times during the season, depending on the weather.

Dave

Super Sapper
02-08-2017, 11:23 AM
I run three 2088's on marine deep cycle batteries and get up to 3 days on them. I have 2 in one woods and try to alternate changing batteries between the 2 but get mixed up sometimes and have one run 3 days but have not had the battery go dead.

MunsterMapler
02-14-2017, 03:11 PM
How many gallons of sap do you guys think I should be getting per day with around 80 taps on a surflow? I still don't think im getting as I should because of such little slope I have.

jmayerl
02-14-2017, 03:29 PM
A fully charged deep cycle battery should allow the pump to run much longer than 12 hrs. The pumps only draws about 1-2 amps on my setup, maybe yours is different with more taps? Have used a 70 watt solar panel but I don't have good sunlight where my pumps are, and they do not provide enough charging. But my NAPA 8270 deep cycle marine battery will last about 30-35 hrs with my 4008 Shurflo which is about the same power as yours, maybe a little higher. Suggest at least a 100 watt solar panel with charger. Still might not carry you thought those all night runs followed by a cloudy day, you might have to charge it a couple times during the season, depending on the weather.

Dave

Mine pulls 8-9 amps

MunsterMapler
02-14-2017, 03:57 PM
I'm thinking I should be getting at least 100 gallons a day when it's running good. Am I in the ball park or just talking crazy

Buddy 58
02-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Dings hollow maple here - been reading you guys for years haven't posted much . Been wanting to try a shurflo for awhile . I run 600 taps , 175 are piped to the sugar shack the rest is brought in by pickup tank . About a week ago I was thinking about batteries and pulling them to recharge them , looked out the window - and there sits my old 92 jeep , not road worthy any more . I own two farms , sugar house is not on the one I live on . long , long drive way to it , anyway dug the place out this morning , got a friend to follow me over with jeep , drove around back of sugar shack right up to main line , trip to napa for wire , put a 4008 in the line , hooked it to the battery , started pulling sap real good . charging battery with jeep when it needs it . Going to see how it works . welcome your thoughts