PDA

View Full Version : re-boiling finished syrup?

IWDaddo
02-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Hi! Looked for answers but never quite found what I needed...

A nosy onlooker unscrewed the cap of a finished bottle of our syrup I'm keeping in the freezer/fridge for a gift later this year. I'm worried, given the amount of care we put into sanitizing everything, that I can't just screw the cap back on, since it was open the better part of a day without my knowledge.

My question is this: can/should I reboil that particular large bottle of syrup, either in its current bottle (through double-boiling or some such) or apart from it? Will that effectively kill whatever bacteria might have gotten into it? Or am I being too worrisome? thanks!!

psparr
02-07-2017, 08:13 PM
If kept in the fridge it may make it, but you could take the cap off and throw the bottle in the oven on low till everything comes up to bottling temp, then recap it.

ennismaple
02-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Throw it in the freezer and it'll be fine indefinitely. If you want to repackage it, empty into a sauce pan and bring up to 180 F before putting the hot syrup into a bottle with new cap.

IWDaddo
02-09-2017, 02:30 PM
I ended up using a double-boiler, putting the bottle in, water halfway up. Stupid thermometer crapped out, so I just monitored it for 20 minutes, and hopefully that will do the trick!