PDA

View Full Version : Butter help.

LittleGuy
03-31-2007, 07:22 AM
Anyone help me find a place close by to take some syrup and have it made into maple butter(cream). I live in Brockville Ontario.I'd like to get a couple gallons made into butter, and a rough price too, if you have any ideas how much it would cost.

Thanks

H. Walker
03-31-2007, 08:15 PM
If you don't mind driving to Lanark, Paul's Maple do custom orders, I think.

613-259-5276

HanginAround
03-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Have you ever tried it yourself? It isn't that hard to do, just a bit of time elbow grease. We can give you some instructions if you want to try.

LittleGuy
04-01-2007, 07:19 AM
H W: i'll give them a call and see, Thanks

Hanginaround: I tried making some last year, It turn out grainy. I did use med syrup though, and the temps were not very accurate. I want a bit to sell, If it was for me I wouldn't care. I'm going to try again this year with light.

Thanks again guy's

ennismaple
04-02-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm sure Marion and Brien Paul are waaaay too busy right now to do anything but boil and bottle their own syrup. (7,000-8,000 taps kinda occupies a lot of your free time) I'd recommend you wait and call them after Perth's Festival of the Maples (April 28).

I started making maple spread last year - it's not that hard. Use the lightest coloured syrup you have. On my candy thermometer I boil the syrup to 21.5 F above the boiling point of water. Take it off the stove and place the pot in a cold water bath until it cools to almost 50 F. This may take several hours. DO NOT TOUCH IT WHILE IT'S COOLING! If you bump it even slightly it will start to crystallize and you'll get grainy maple cream. Once it's cool stir with a heavy wooden spoon until your arms fall off.

Good luck.

HanginAround
04-02-2007, 12:40 PM
And then pass the spoon to the next guy so he can finish it LOL

TapME
04-02-2007, 06:12 PM
and supply the spoon to the nearest sampler