PDA

View Full Version : SHE RUNS

mapleman3
03-05-2004, 06:47 PM
just got in .. Vac is running and purring like a kitten, with a quick help call to Rick( I forgot to add oil) but not a problem, up and running and easily running 15" could do 25 or more if I didn't regulate it, sap was sucked uphill a bit, realeaser is maybe 4 ft higher than the mainline. tomorrow I will build a nice permanent shelter around it . all I'll need to do next season is uncap where mice could get in, pull the big cord to it from the barn CHECK OIL!! and fire her up.... now BRING ON THE SAPPIN WEATHER>>> DADDY WANTS TO BOIL!!!!!
'
Thanks again Rick and everyone for the help!!!

powerdub
03-05-2004, 07:23 PM
I talked to quite a few of my friends that run delaval pumps over last few days and the one thing they all said was not to exceed 20" of vacuum. They overheat at that level. Just FYI. I'd hate to see you burn that thing up in the first day or two. Other than that I am :D :D :D :D :D for you!!!

mapleman3
03-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks Scott great info, I will stay around 15-17" and see how it does, I'm super :) :) :) :) I finally have it ready for the "BIG" run :)

Brian
03-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Jim that is great!!

Salmoneye
03-06-2004, 05:44 AM
I want that...

*sigh*

Next year...

Al
03-06-2004, 06:49 AM
Congrats on getting it all together in time!!!!!!! :lol:
Not much going on here. So I'm going to cut wood this weekend. :lol:
Another favorite activity.
Take care

mapleman3
03-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Woah.. thought there was a problem, went to check the vac and it was down just below 15" it has been holding 17 fine withit regulated... so I went for a walk found one leak..chewed.. and another where a line came off, got those fixed and wammo the sap was flowing again, here is a day it's rainy around 55deg didn't get a freeze last night and I'm getting sap flow...about 30 gals so far out of 100 taps.. that since I have been fidling with it sinse 8 am, I would'nt have a drop in the tank in fact I hadn't got but 20 gals on gravity till today!!! VAC IS AWESOME!!! should have 50gals or more by tonight!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Jim,

Congrats and have fun. We are happy for you but Salmoneye and I are especially jealous, but that's how it goes. Maybe some day I can get a vaccum system, but not likely. :(

mapleman3
03-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Please don't be jealous, if you were stupid like me and spent$$$ when you shouldn't ;) you too could have it... I am just hoping to pay it off in the next 100 years;)

this is the pump house with good air flow

http://www.desjardinsmaple.com/pumphouse.JPG

Brian
03-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Brandon vacuum is cheaper than you think.you can put A vac system together for 800.00 or 1000.00 and it will pay for it self in time.I have another woods with about 440 taps and no power .I'm thinking manual realser and brig and stration on another pump next year.
I stop at Glens today and last night he made 140 gal in 3 hrs. he was boiling tonight and running 1/4 inch deep in his 2 1/2x10 flat pan.Yes 1/4 inch deep,that don't leave much room for error. the air enjection is not installed yet.Glen is filling A 55 drum in about an hour it is amazing to watch.