PDA

View Full Version : When to tap ?????

Aa2tn
02-05-2017, 10:25 PM
I am thinking of tapping 2/3 of my taps on Tuesday. Looks like we should get a run tues / wed and then again on the weekend. Never tapped this early but I think I am going to give it a try. Does anyone know how long will tap holes stay open? Is there an amount of time or does it depend on the weather? .......Jim.

lyford
02-06-2017, 07:58 AM
Hey Jim, I think the general rule of thumb for buckets is 4-6 wks. I know I get at least 6 wks from most of my taps. Based on the forecast, if it can be believed, it looks like we will have freezing weather in between runs for a while. Those freezing temps should help deter bacterial growth in your tap holes. Not sure about you, but I'm on all buckets and my season ends 4/4 due to a family vacation so I'm considering tapping soon as well. if I were on vacuum I'd be tapping for sure, just my thoughts.

DrTimPerkins
02-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Does anyone know how long will tap holes stay open? Is there an amount of time or does it depend on the weather? .......Jim.

It is a time x temperature interaction. It is also related to spout and tubing sanitation. When to tap is usually a matter of how long it'll take to get the job done. With 100 taps you can do it in a day just before a good string of weather is forecast. With 10,000 or more taps, it can take a month or longer, so large producers have to start early.

mudr
02-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Jim-
I've been watching the long range forecast and it has really turned around for me where I am, which is presumably close to you. If it were not for a number of conflicts this week (interview mid week and 3 day work trip), I would have tapped yesterday (sunday). I really can't process anything this week and I didn't want it to sit around. Hopefully I get taps in on Sat afternoon.

Aa2tn
02-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys. I have tubing on gravity in Elma, about 180 taps. This area gets warmer and ends sooner than my other, higher elevation area. So even to the end of March is about 7 and a half weeks. Although it often gets too warm by then. So I think it will be an experiment for this year. I will wait a week or two to tap the other 80 to 90 taps at the higher elevation. ........it will be a learning experience. I have also noticed ( I have been watching the long range forecast for a while) that they have been gradually warming the temps, so who knows what it will be by the middle of March!