PDA

View Full Version : My best run this season

maple flats
03-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Today was my first real good run. I only collected my 150 of my rented roadside trees and got 300 gal. Early in the morning i will collect my woods trees and then start boiling. I did pull the reds in the front of my woods because the buds were rather swelled, will look at the deep woods reds tomorrow but it is always cooler in there. If the buds hold this next 14 days should be good sapping weather and if it does continue that long I will end up with my most ever after a very poor start. Let the sap run.

danno
03-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Good to hear your running. Is you sap still clear, or have you clouded up too? Are you in Oneida, or north of the thruway?

New Hope Mapleman
03-31-2007, 10:55 AM
We finally got a good run. Not quite a gallon per tap, but very close. The last two days will help the average for the year. I can't complain, we were at 50% crop before the sap started really flowing Thursday. Looks like we have a couple more good days. The sap was looking a bit cloudy, so I pulled my soft taps and its cleaned right up!!!
Sugar content was back up again, running right around 2%, it had slipped down to 1.3 after the prolonged warm weather. One thing for sure, that vacuum has helped this year. We haven't had less than 1000 gallons of sap any day so far. Not bad for 5 days above freezing. Glad we worked so hard in the off season.
Hope you all make your goal!

maple flats
03-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Danno, I, yes I am just north of the thruway. My best flow yesterday was my taps south of Oneida. Today I had to pull the rest of my reds and dump about 60 gal of sap. The sugars buds are still real tight, no sign of any opening yet but the reds were all open this morning. What I dumped was where reds and sugars were going into the same tank. I boiled til about 7:30 tonight and finished the 380 gal of sap I had. My sugar was only 2% and these sugars usually run in the high 2's up to 3.75% but that is not this season and I had very little FTC damage last year, under 5% defoiliation in the worst parts.