PDA

View Full Version : Do your tree's have a nickname?

Sinzibuckwud
02-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Just wondering if anybody else had nicknames for tree's that they tap? Going to the same tree's year after year a few have received nicknames from myself or my son. It's kinda like meeting an old friend you haven't seen in a while when we come to them out tapping. A few of ours are Big Red, Sap Cow, Gnarly, and Two Seater to name a few. Definitely something fun to do with the kids, they always get pumped up to see how much Sap Cow's got it it's bucket!

mountainvan
02-04-2017, 04:27 PM
I have two maples that are huge. The trunks are almost as wide as my truck. Tecumseh and General Sherman respectively.

Maplebrook
02-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Our kids named the trees (we started when they were 3&5) and the names would reflect the location in the woods or some reference point. Single trees had names, 2 trees together were had the suffix "twins", and 3 or more tight together were "group of (#). We had 325 at the peak of the operation; most had names.

Some were: hemlock hill, clothesline corner, french drain, upper and lower garden grove, ash loop, dog patch, lower 40, sunny corner, sunny corner twins, and the list goes on.

Good times and good memories. (sniff)

Waynehere
02-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Our kids named the trees (we started when they were 3&5) and the names would reflect the location in the woods or some reference point. Single trees had names, 2 trees together were had the suffix "twins", and 3 or more tight together were "group of (#). We had 325 at the peak of the operation; most had names.

Some were: hemlock hill, clothesline corner, french drain, upper and lower garden grove, ash loop, dog patch, lower 40, sunny corner, sunny corner twins, and the list goes on.

Good times and good memories. (sniff)

Ha, 3-4000 taps??? That is a lot of names to come up with if you continue with this tradition.... :confused:

Russell Lampron
02-05-2017, 04:20 AM
I've got the super tree, mini me and the ugly tree as some of mine. Only trees that are special for one reason or another get named because it would be too hard to name them all. Mainlines and sections of woods get named so that they can be easily referred to when tapping and making repairs.

Tweegs
02-05-2017, 06:03 AM
Got one called “The General”
He’s 52” in diameter and by far the largest on the place.

Then there’s the squirrel tree. Every year, without fail…

The rest get sporadic, temporary names based upon whether I’ve been struck by, slapped by or tripped over branches, fallen in to or out of them and from what altitude.
Those names, I assure you, aren’t fit to print.

Sinzibuckwud
02-05-2017, 06:33 AM
Got one called “The General”
He’s 52” in diameter and by far the largest on the place.

Then there’s the squirrel tree. Every year, without fail…

The rest get sporadic, temporary names based upon whether I’ve been struck by, slapped by or tripped over branches, fallen in to or out of them and from what altitude.
Those names, I assure you, aren’t fit to print.
Hahaha
I save those names for the beech tree's, got em on the run this summer. spent a lot of time in the bush taking out the face slappers.

We have nicknames for areas of the bush as well, cold hole, goat path, big hill 1 & 2, stream side, skidder rd and fox run.
Definetly can't name all the tree's but I think it's cool certain tree's have "something" about them that is special enough to be given a name.

maple flats
02-05-2017, 08:43 AM
No names for mine.

mountainvan
02-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Tweegs, that's funny. You chasing the squirrels up the trees to get the altitude?

Atgreene
02-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Our 7% trees get names. Usually holy s..t.

Tweegs
02-06-2017, 08:02 AM
Tweegs, that's funny. You chasing the squirrels up the trees to get the altitude?

Chasing them?
No, not really.
It’s more a function of trajectory, arc and velocity.

Imagine trying to get a side tie on your mainline banjo string tight, and you happen to slip a split second before securing said side tie.

Now, if I happen to meet a squirrel on the way up…or down…well, I figure that’s just making good use of my time.

mudr
02-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Only three have names.

-Bertha. A +/-28 inch DBH sugar in my front yard that outflows all other trees 2:1. I didn't get a sap hydrometer in time last year to check, so it may be low sugar. But dang, it just keeps flowing! I remember climbing that tree as a child.

-Rascal. A tree in my backyard and is a 15 year old reference to an old dog. My house is actually my grandparents old place, the original farmhouse on the farm. Our fat and lazy black lab growing up was called rascal. He was chained to that tree one day when he was a bit younger and more ambitious. We saw him jump up, grab a small branch, and pull it down. He peeled off a 3 inch wide section of bark a good 2-3 feet down the tree. Thus, it's called Rascal. Funny thing is I think I remember my grandfather planting that tree when I was like 5. As a matter of fact, all the trees in my yard were planted by him. Some back in the early 60s.

-Nate's tree. Last year my then 4 year old was adamant that this one particular tree got tapped and a bag hung on it. I only put out 40 taps in the woods last year, so I focused all on trees at the edge of the woods. Combination of southern exposure, larger crowns, and shorter walking. I didn't really want to tap that tree as it was 20-30 ft in the woods across a stone pile. Of course, that was probably the best producing tree out in the woods last year.

judylarkins@juno.com
02-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Great idea. Today we just named the spots so we could know what trees we are talking about . Maple Rock, near a large rock, mountain top, last one up the mt., sunrise perch, next to Papas house, and fencepost. We don't have many trees, but they all are sapping bigtime.

stoweski
02-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Just one tree. We call it "The Ent" from Lord Of The Rings. The thing is huge and looks like it would uproot and walk off. I didn't tap it my first two years. Put two taps in it each year and thank it when I put them in and when I pull them. Thank god nobody is around when I tap, they'll start looking for a home for me!

spud
02-07-2017, 06:24 AM
I have a very large maple tree named OLD Faithful. The tree is always running during the season. The sap test at 4%.

Spud

DrTimPerkins
02-07-2017, 07:15 AM
Just wondering if anybody else had nicknames for tree's that they tap?

Not a lot of names, but we do have trees with numbers. :)

With some of the trees on chambers I did name a few...."SuperTree" was one of my favorites, and usually the reason I had to go check and drain chambers. It always had almost double the amount of everyone else. It had what I think were a few sisters nearby, as they would usually run a fair amount better than the others. Then there was "Mr. Stingy", a large tree that some years would be OK, and other years would be terrible....probably due to internal compartmentalization.

We do name sections of our woods....some after manufacturers "Leader", "CDL", etc., some after installers "Corey", "Goodrich", some after researchers "Williams", "Morselli", "Taylor" and then some that have weird origins "Red Series" and "Martin Block". In each of those sections every mainline is numbered....and each mainline is equipped with a Smartrek vacuum sensor at the end of the line. Makes it very easy to find leaks and describe the location of other issues that need attention.

Ed R
02-07-2017, 07:59 AM
We have named 2, Big Bertha And Speedy Gonzales. Both are great running trees with high sugar content.

ennismaple
02-07-2017, 02:38 PM
We have too many to name individual trees but we refer to sections of mainlines by letter (A-line, B, D, E, F etc...). This dates back to when all our mainlines came down each year and we used an alpha-numberic system to describe the section of the bush (mainline) followed by the number for where the line was relative to the start of the mainline. Some lines stick in your head - like C14 because it was a huge tree at the one end of a hill, and some because the hill was so steep you wanted to make sure you didn't grab that line from the pile when you were having to take them out to the head tree to stretch them!

Galena
02-08-2017, 08:44 AM
I only have six trees so easy to remember them. They share the tree lines with other trees that I don't tap, i.e. #3, #4 and #7 are all reds, and #8 is standing dead and actually is nicknamed Stick as there are no limbs left on it. Combine #s with names so trees are: #1 is Onederful, #2 is Two-two Train, #5 is Five Alive, #6 Six Machine, #9 is Minor Niner. And now that I have found a lovely 2-spiler sugar in the back woods behind myself, all on its own, I've not given it a #, just a name: Surprise!

buckeye gold
02-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Using buckets and bags I know how each tree runs. I only have a name for three of them and I call them the slut sisters, because they put out when none of the others do and more than any others. I wish i had a whole woods of them. I had one I should have called the ICE B*tch because it would run big for about three runs then go completely dry, the wind took her down last year and now I'm burning her to cook sap.

smokeyamber
02-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Kids named their favorite trees... biggest producer was Big Mama... they would rush to visit it when they got home. Fun stuff !