PDA

View Full Version : Temp or hydrometer to determine syrup?

danno
03-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Based upon last couple posts in the "sweet bush" thread below - I wanted to look into this a little closer in a new thread.

I boil water and come up with 212 or 213, but I'm not getting syrup on the hydrometer until I'm almost at 222. Should I trust the thermo or the hydrometer, I assume one is off?

Syrup seems pretty thick to me, and I'm sure not making whole let. I'd rather believe the temp. and make more syrup, but don't want to thin in out too much.

I only have one thermo and one hydrometer, so I can't double check with a backup.

brookledge
03-30-2007, 06:37 PM
check the hydrometer even a new hydrometer can be off. Most will tell you that you should always have atleast 2. So if you expect that one is off you can check it against the other. Or atleast take it to another producer and check it to theirs.
Keith

Dave Y
03-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Danno,
Unless you are at sea level water does not boil at 212. I would get a barometer with a water boiling point chart and check your thermometer against that. Then check your hydrometer against your thermometer. You must Know what water boils at on any given day to correctly draw syrup. Then it can be tough maintaning that temp. Also the point of boiling water can change during a boil. Hope this helps.

Russell Lampron
03-30-2007, 07:17 PM
The hydrometer is the most accurate way to check syrup density. Buy a spare one and have both tested annually. I have 4 of them and when they were new I drew outlines of them and marked where the syrup lines are on the sugarhouse wall. That way I can make a quick check to see if they are still accurate if I suspect that they are not.

Russ

danno
03-30-2007, 07:39 PM
OK, here is some more info. Boiling water just now was bouncing between 210 and 211 on my digital thermometer. A couple of hours ago I was drawing syrup at 221 based upon my hydrometer reading, that's 10 to 11 degrees over boiling water?

I just compared my hydrometer to an older one I have that the glass at the tip broke from dropping it into a hydrometer cup. My old hydrometer is about an 1" longer, and I am using my new, shorter hydrometer in my old hydrometer cup. Also, the syrup lines don't match up on the old and new hydrometer, not even close because they are different sizes. With a shorter hydrometer, should I be using a shorter hydrometer cup?

Russell Lampron
03-30-2007, 08:05 PM
I use the short hydrometer cup for both long and short hydrometers. I was making syrup on a gas grill and had small batches of syrup to test. On the one with the broken tip the paper inside probably moved when it was broken so you can't trust the reading anyway.

Russ

SteveD
03-30-2007, 10:22 PM
If you are drawing off at temperatures like 221 or 222...don't forget to allow the syrup in the hydrometer cup time to cool down some before you take your reading. I know on my hydrometer the red "hot test" line says it is for syrup at 211 degrees, so I have to wait some before taking the reading. I have watched the hydrometer rise in the cup as the syrup cools....it can lift almost 1/4" during the cooling from say 222 to 211.

-Steve

HanginAround
03-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Just in case.... you aren't testing syrup to 66 when it's hot are you? If so, it will be way too thick, and boil somewhere around 221 or 2. The red line at 66 Brix is only for room temp syrup, should only float at 59 when it's hot.

danno
03-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks for all your ideas guys. Keep them coming if you have any more suggestions. When your at 59 brix, is everbody elses thermometers reading 7 over boiling water?.

Pete and steve, I am using 59 brix for hot syrup. Although I do see it's to be tested at 211, I have been testing it right out of the evaporator at 220. Will try cooling the syrup to 211 and testing with the hydro.

maplehound
03-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Also keep in mind when testing the boil point of water that there is a big difrence between boiling and simmering. Jus tbecause you have bubbles doesn't mean it is boiling. Let it boil for several minutes then check your temp.

danno
03-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Hydrometer seems to be ok. When bottling today, I checked syrup on both hydrometers and they read exactly the same. Wonder if the thermometer is reading hot, although I don't think so as it's 210-211 for boiling water today.

Anybody else have syrup at 220-221?

RileySugarbush
03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
I've been seeing the same thing this year. Using a digital thermometer and a hydrometer, I don't get syrup until 221 or so. I don't understand it. In my old set up, which was batch finished I always used only the hydrometer, so I don't know if this is a new phenomena or not.

mapleman3
04-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I have an HVAC digital thermometer that takes 2 J or K type temp probes or thermocouples... it is adjustable so you can change the temp up or down.... in the past I have played with the temp and adjusted it to the drawoff temp as you would with the drawoff thermometers( the 0-20 types) anyway I will set the therm from the temp my barometer shows water boiling at and leave it.... that way I can fine tune even better by the digital by keeping an eye on barometric pressure change... I have watched my barometer change as much as 2+ deg(boiling point) I know confusing to understand .. just as hard to explain ;)

Dave Y
04-02-2007, 06:06 AM
From reading the post on this thread there are a lot of junk thermometers out there. I know I have several my self. Thats why I bought the 0-50 adjustable dial thermometer. I have an electronic barometer thermometer. It tells me what temp water boils at. At that instant. I have seen it change often during a boil. and i have seen where it doesnt move. This is how I determine syrup.
I had my hydrometer calibrated. I check for syrup with it. When the hydrometer says it is syrup I set my adjustable thermometer to 7 and start to draw. I try to keep it at 7 thru out the draw. I will allow 1 deg +or - during the draw. if it gets too high I will ladel some dilute into the syrup chamber to bring the temps back to 7, if it goes too low I shut off the draw. I have drawn syrup continully for 45mins doing it that way. Hope this helps someone!

HanginAround
04-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Dave, is your electronic thermo a Ystec?

Dave Y
04-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Hangin,
My barometer thermometer is a marcland. It is made by the same people that make the auto drawoff. It is dead on accurate.

HanginAround
04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Ystec makes an auto-drawoff too... was just wondering... he's my uncle and makes a barometrically compensated thermo too.

danno
04-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Dave - excellent post, you answered about 4 of my questions. Thank you to you and to all others who responded with good suggestions.

I sent you a pm about your likes/dislikes with your 3x12.