PDA

View Full Version : Stainless fittings

Biz
02-03-2017, 01:53 PM
What do you guys do for tightening stainless steel fittings, any tricks? I have 1/2" ss fittings and I have a hard time getting them leak free on vacuum. I had a batch of fittings that I bought on ebay that looked and went together OK but I could never get them leak free, so I got rid of them and bought some fittings from a reputable fittings supply house. The fittings from Merit Brass are much better but not 100%. I wrap two turns of teflon tape around them and tighten snug. I've had much better luck with the PVC fittings. What am I doing wrong? Are stainless fittings more prone to vacuum leaks?

Dave

JoeJ
02-03-2017, 04:13 PM
I put all my SS fitting together with teflon tape and food grade thread dope. Thread dope is a must to prevent leaks.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-03-2017, 04:37 PM
"Loctite thread sealant with PTFE". Thats what you need, forget the Teflon. Not sure where to get it, have some a buddy gave me.

Biz
02-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will look those up!

maple flats
02-03-2017, 06:01 PM
Are they threaded pipe fittings or barbed fittings. I use and like the SS barb fittings that Lapierre sells, never had a leak with them. However you will not get them together unless you have a mainline tool, and they need to get flared just to get them started. The O.D. of them is larger than the plastic ones.

Biz
02-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Threaded fittings.

Tweegs
02-04-2017, 06:24 AM
Trying some new stuff this year called GASOILA.

The “Soft Set” variety has PTFE, is rated for potable water, can be used on brass, copper, SS, alum, tin, galvanized, ABS, CPVC, PVC, nylon and 3 types of poly.

It’s good from -100 to 600*f and 10,000 psi.

In other words, it can be used anywhere in the shack or the bush, including the RO.

The biggest selling point for me was the rating for ABS plastic, since my RO end caps are made of the stuff.
Loctite is not rated for ABS.