PDA

View Full Version : Syrup in school looking for help- midcoast maine.

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
02-02-2017, 06:39 PM
This is my 6th year making syrup as a part of my elementary school classroom. We tap between 50-60 trees using taps and buckets. My problem is with boiling, we can't afford an evaporator...

any tips or point me in a direction.

Thanks
todd
to see how we sap in school to get an idea check out. http://bugsmudbooksandsticks.com/sap-in-school/

mspina14
02-02-2017, 09:41 PM
This is my 6th year making syrup as a part of my elementary school classroom. We tap between 50-60 trees using taps and buckets. My problem is with boiling, we can't afford an evaporator...

any tips or point me in a direction.

Thanks
todd
to see how we sap in school to get an idea check out. http://bugsmudbooksandsticks.com/sap-in-school/

I started with a barrel stove for an evaporator (as many do when they first get into sugaring. You can Google it and see many photos and videos on Youtube.

15319 15320

You can usually find a used 55 gallon drum at the local dump for free (You'll need a lid for the drum as well). The kit for the stove door, feet, and stove pipe collar is about $80. You'll need some fire brick to line the inside. That's about $40.00. The pan is the most expensive item. My cost about $200 to have fabricated. You can buy steam pans much cheaper. I think I paid about $35 for 2 of them. Stove pipe will run about $75.

As you can see from the photo's above, I added a blower fan connected to the stove with some dryer duct to make a hotter fire. This isn't necessary but will increase the boil rate of the sap and make the syrup faster. I think I paid $100 for the blower.

Makes a nice project for the kids as well.

I just sold mine a few months ago after I upgraded to a bigger evaporator. I would have given the barrel stove to you for free to use for the kids if I still had it.

Mark

psparr
02-03-2017, 04:41 AM
You could send a note home to parents asking for volunteers who would be willing to have their kids bring home a milk jug full of sap. Have them boil it to say 215-217 degrees then return those contents back to school. Store that concentrate until you have enough to boil in a stock pot on a turkey fryer at school.

sap retreiver
02-03-2017, 05:21 AM
If you do go the barrel route try your highway dept. They probably have one and good chance they can cut whatever hole in it you want

maple flats
02-03-2017, 05:59 AM
Write a letter to every evaporator manufacturer for a donation of a 2x4-2x6 evaporator for the program, new or lead free used. One of them may be able to help. Another to try could be Bascom Maple, Bruce could possibly donate one, either new or even lead free used for the program. I have heard of manufacturers getting behind things like this.
You might be pleasantly surprised.
Option 2 might be a fund raiser, school wide to get the money.
Being a school project might tend to be a time when a propane fired rig could fit best, so it could be shut down faster if needed.
Another option, are there any FFA programs in your district or even nearby districts, where they do syrup? If yes, contact the advisor to see if they have a smaller evaporator around that they no longer use. In my area in central NY there are 2 such districts who have an active maple program, Maine might too.

eustis22
02-03-2017, 06:17 AM
depending on what your gallons per hour goal is, a reasonable, albeit slower, arch can be made of cinderblock (always get that free on craigslist) and use hotel steam pans (also easier for a donation). there are many examples hereabouts. barrels and oil tanks require cutting and welding, which are their own barriers.

SeanD
02-03-2017, 06:17 AM
Try donorschoose.org Think of it as an on-line and public grant application. You use their questionnaire to make your pitch and give background to the project. I highly recommend you include lots of photos. Once it's submitted, anyone can kick in money to the project. I think you'll be successful given that this is a proven project that has been running for years. It's not just some off-the-wall idea you came up with last night.

I used it to buy a very badly needed rug for my classroom. Money came in from the local parent community, the region, and beyond. A lot of people want to see the money they donate go directly into helping a cause and see their generosity benefit people directly. Donorschoose.org is a great vehicle for that.

Sean

Dale Sparrow
02-03-2017, 07:19 AM
I have a 22"x50" stainless flat pan with 5" sides that you could use to boil. I would need it back after maple season as my wife uses it to start seedlings in for the garden. I used it to boil with last year but have bought a new evaporator. 756-4469