PDA

View Full Version : Main line cleaning

MapleMike
02-01-2017, 06:04 PM
I just leased a Sugar Bush with the potential for 1000 taps. The previous lessor hasn't tapped the property for 3-4 years. The existing 3/4", 1" and 1-1/4" mains are all there and seem to be in good shape. I have a couple of days of downed limb clearing to do and plan to replace all the 5/16" tubing and taps. Any suggestions on how to clean the existing mains? What size collection tank should I use in the woods for that size bush. Thanks in advance for your help.

BreezyHill
02-01-2017, 06:52 PM
How often you want to pickup is the first question relative to tank size.

I use hydrogen peroxide solution to clean my lines. Best to pump it into the lines and let sit from morning to evening and then vacuum them out. Or you could let it sit til you tap.

BAP
02-01-2017, 07:01 PM
You want at least 1 gallon of storage per tap, preferably more like 1.5 gallons per tap for bigger runs. As far as cleaning the lines, you can use the hydrogen peroxide like Breexy Hill suggested, a water chlorine mix or just flush water threw them.

JoeJ
02-02-2017, 05:00 AM
If you are using vacuum, I would suggest at least 2 gal per tap storage if you don't want sap running onto the ground when you have that one or two big runs in a season like last year.

maple flats
02-02-2017, 07:00 AM
If using the Hydrogen Peroxide method it should be food grade because medical grade has toxic preservatives in it. For food grade try a water treatment supplier (water conditioners etc.) About 14 years ago I bought 1 gal of food grade 35% hydrogen peroxide and it cost $35+ shipping from California. When I needed more I got it in a 15 gal barrel, still 35% food grade and I paid $120 for the barrel. Realize that a little goes a long ways. I mixed it 1.5 qts/100 gal water.