PDA

View Full Version : Thor Equipment first test boil

PerryFamily
01-31-2017, 07:26 AM
So last Friday I attempted to do a test boil on my new Thor pans I picked up in June of 2016
Well low and behold I found that the front float arm was built straight across, only allowing about 1" in the syrup pans
Quick call to the shop in Quebec, and on Monday I was there bright and early for the repair. They took right care of it and I also had them put a threaded port in the pan connection for a sight glass, which I picked up from CDL on the way home.

Test boiled yesterday and everything seemed to work. The repair allows up to 2.5" of syrup in the front pan which I think is adequate adjustment.

Overall great experience

On a side Note Arnold Raymond is no longer with the company unfortunately. You now need to talk to Barry in the shop as he is the lone English speaker.

5iguy
12-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Hi,
I’m considering pans from Thor and was wondering what is the size of your pans. Also, how is the quality of their fabrication and how do they perform?

Thanks

Brian
12-06-2017, 02:35 AM
I have 4 x 12 set of Thor pans they work great. William has a set, my cousin has a set too.

wiam
12-06-2017, 07:24 AM
I have 4 x 12 set of Thor pans they work great. William has a set, my cousin has a set too.

I would buy them again. Only thing I would change would be a bigger back pan drain as mine is only 1/2”.

maple flats
12-06-2017, 07:44 AM
My 3x8 Thor pans have a 1" back drain, if I were to do it again, I'd get 1.5" drain on the flue pan. I have a Lapierre flue pan washer and a 1.5" drain would keep the flow at the bottom of the channels moving better.
I bought my Thor pans because of a Blaisdell recommendation. Glad I did, the price was about 40% less than Leader's quote and the quality is top notch. Welding is perfect. The best part is that I had the sides built 4" taller than normal on both pans and the cost was only 40% of what Leader wanted for normal height sides.

PerryFamily
12-06-2017, 10:15 PM
Men are 3x8, cross flow raised flue
At 16% I make about 15 gallons per hour
I would buy from them again
Price was excellent
Craftsmanship was good, I wouldn’t say 100% but good none the less
Everything on this rig is 1.5” Plumbing
I had issues with the fron float not allowing me to run the syrup pans where I wanted (2”). I brought it back and they fixed it . It’s much bettter but still not perfect. I added a front sight tube as well from CDL . Hope this helps