PDA

View Full Version : Fire Brick and Insulating

TimberlandMike
01-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Hi All,
I am a total rookie. I have a 2x8 Small Bros. on a D&G arch. I just watched a CDL video on bricking and insulating and the fella did not do anything below the grates on the sides or bottom. I didn't plan on doing anything on the bottom since I poured a nice concrete block on top of the slab to get the rig a little higher but, I assumed one would insulate and brick the sides below the grates or at least brick it. Thoughts please. I intend to be working on this evenings this week. Thanks!

VTnewguy
01-30-2017, 08:11 PM
We just did our arch a couple of weeks ago. On a leader arch the firebricks are standing up on end lining below the grates. Hope that this helps.

TimberlandMike
01-30-2017, 08:56 PM
Thanks. All responses will be helpful

Dennis H.
01-30-2017, 11:10 PM
I did not brick or insulate below the grates, t is just the ash area anyway.
Now above the grates I used arch board against the SS and then firebrick. You technically only need firebrick in the area of the arch that will see the abuse of firewood being tossed in. Arch board will not stand to any kind of hits. So you really only NEED to brick up the sides and the ramp in the firebox area.
The part of the arch under the flue pan you can get away with just arch board or ceramic blanket, here you are trying the protect the SS arch from the heat and too keep the heat where you want it and is useful, under the flue pan.
Now I had a bunch of firebrick so I lined the entire arch with archboard 1st then covered that with the firebrick, a little over kill but now I can lift the pans and clean out the arch without the worry of damaging the archboard.

MISugarDaddy
01-31-2017, 04:21 AM
When we purchased our Leader evaporator, the dealer offered to insulate and brick it for us for a VERY reasonable fee. They did it exactly as Dennis H. explained how he insulated and bricked his. They did not put any bricks or insulation below the grates.
Gary