PDA

View Full Version : Filtering sap

DocsMapleSyrup
01-30-2017, 01:54 PM
We have both bags and tubing in the woods and I will get a little debris when we collect from the bags. I am contemplating using a canister style 30 micron filter prior to sap going from he head tank to the evaporator. I don't know the flow rate through a 30 micron filter but I saw a 20 micron that was 5 GPM. I have a 2x8 evaporator that boils 60-80 GPH. I'm open to any ideas about how to get rid of some of the collection solids. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Tweegs
01-30-2017, 02:33 PM
These work great.

Can get them from most any sugaring supply outlet.

Rinse them out in hot water...often (daily).

maple milker
01-30-2017, 03:19 PM
I use a milk filter zip tied to the end of the hose entering the head tank. Just throw it away at the end of each boiling session. Pans have minimal sediment now.

Moser's Maple
01-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Have you considered filtering the sap before it goes into head tank? If I reading your post correctly you are talking about putting in filter between head tank and evaporator? We use what tweegs uses before it goes into our raw sap tank to collect the solids.

wiam
01-30-2017, 06:17 PM
If a filter plugs between head tank and evaporator that Could get ugly in a hurry

Daveg
01-30-2017, 06:20 PM
Can you filter the sap when you're dumping each sap bag? When I'm dumping sap from jugs, I pour it through a funnel lined with a regular thin cone filter into my gathering barrel. Also, it's starting to look like you're close to benefiting from RO. For about $275 you can build one that includes a whole house filter and 3-100 gallon per day membranes. The whole house filter gets sap super clean down to 5 microns and you will cut your boiling time and fuel consumption in half.

fisheatingbagel
01-30-2017, 06:29 PM
I use a house water filter between my storage tank and head tank

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BAP
01-30-2017, 06:33 PM
I use a house water filter between my storage tank and head tank

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Second that. I have one plumbed in my line to my head tank.

gbeneke
01-30-2017, 07:40 PM
I would filter before you go to your evaporator. It is better to get rid of debris before your main collection tank. You will have a cleaner tank and not worry about any restiction of flow to the evaporator which could give you a oh S**T moment.

Bucket Head
01-30-2017, 08:32 PM
We zip-tie a sock-type milk filter over the end of our discharge hose that goes into the collection tank on the truck. Fast, easy and it ensures debris-free sap from that point on.

DocsMapleSyrup
01-30-2017, 09:46 PM
I see what Tweegs posted but I don't know what that is or how fast it will let liquid through it? (I use a Wayne Sprinkler pump 720 GPH). Also, how do you connect it to the line? Zip Tie. Please explain that filter contraption. Thanks.

I was thinking about the filter after the header tank and before the preheater because it would be relatively low flow (GPM); however, I never thought about the "what if it plugs" going to the preheater. I will be rethinking this.

We dump bags into a 65 gallon leg tank and haul to the bulk tank. The opening is only about 6". It may be possible to filter at this location when dumping bags if I could find or make a filter that the cap could screw on without having to remove the filter as sap really sloshes around in the woods.

Moser's Maple
01-30-2017, 10:00 PM
Your looking for something like this
http://www.mapleguys.com/product/RSPOF17.html
And it connects to something like this

https://www.leaderevaporator.com/p-253-pop-on-filter-head.aspx

DocsMapleSyrup
02-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all the good info! I purchased the sap filter suggested.