PDA

View Full Version : Drawing off syrup question

small_operator
03-29-2007, 05:51 PM
I finish my syrup right in the divided syrup pan of my 2x6 and draw it off into a filter rig I have. My question is, how can I get the syrup to come out faster and more completely. Iv'e tried letting in sap from the back pan, but it seems to mix too much before pushing the syrup out ahead of it. I used to take the pan right off and tip it back and forth thru the dividers, but that got heavy and old shortly and it was a pain to disconnect from the back pan and re-connect after. I was thinking about using two wide rubber spatulas to push thru the dividers and block the hole with one while I push thru the next hole with the other. I don't have any valves between the partitions. Maybe I'm being too picky about it. How do people usually do it. I suppose I could draw it off a little thin, but it would still take a little time to draw off, and I like to filter it right away so I can just heat it to 180 and bottle. I don't like leaving a lot because I think it darkens the grade. I only have 75 taps, so there's not much sap for that size evaporator. It would probably help to tap more and have more sap/syrup to deal with. What do other people do.

brookledge
03-29-2007, 06:44 PM
On some small evaporators there are slide or gate valve (not sure of the correct name) that completely shut off the last section so that you can draw off in batches. That way you can draw off a gallon or so at one time and filter it immediately.
Otherwise most just draw off alittle at a time or keep a constant trickle flowing through the valve.
Keith

HanginAround
03-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Right... normally, just drawn off until the temp drops below syrup again, on a small evap, you don't need to draw off a bunch at a time, or all there is in the front pan. Smaller batches more often. But I see your point if you don't have much sap and too big an evap, hard to do a continual process.

brookledge
03-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Gary
Another option if possible is add some more taps. then you will get enogh sap to boil for a while.
Keith

small_operator
03-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys. So it sounds like the common practice is to let out a little at a time until it gets thinner than syrup. I guess you'd have to reheat to filter it. One thing I'm wondering about is that it seems that out of the four partitions in my syrup pan, the middle partition on the drawoff side seems to become syrup before the partition next to the drawoff. This could be due to testing error, but I'm thinking it's probably because there's more heat in the middle and it actually gets to syrup sooner. Does anyone else see that, or is it something I'm doing different. Maybe that's another reason to finish in a separate container to get better consistency. If I draw off when the drawoff side is syrup, the hotter partition might be past syrup. I guess it could be an experience thing where I draw off a little early and by the time the thicker syrup gets there, the whole amount drawn off is at the syrup point. Maybe I should make an inline holder for my hydrometer so I can keep better track of it.

hambone
03-30-2007, 12:50 PM
What kind of syrup pqan do you have, cross flow or reverse?

small_operator
03-30-2007, 03:50 PM
It must be reverse, because I can run it out either side, and the flow in the partitions is front to back.

brookledge
03-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Gary
You have what is called parallel flow pans and as far as getting syrup in the middle that can happen especially when reversing flow. As you get used to the pan and its operation you should be able to get syrup in the last compartment. once you get it that way it you should be able to maintain it.
If you want you can add a little raw sap in the middle compartment when you have syrup there then that will allow the last compartment time to get to syrup. Keep playing with it and I think you will get the hang of it
Keith

802maple
03-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Another thing you can do is draw off a little syrup and add it back to the middle this will bring the sweeter syrup around to the partition that you are drawing off in.

Good luck you will get the hang of it

HanginAround
03-31-2007, 12:12 AM
If you were trying to finish it in batches as you were, you won't get a sweetness gradient. If you draw off small amounts, the less sweet stuff will be coming ahead into the second partition preventing it from becoming syrup.

All the things the other guys said are good ideas too until you get things going. You can also scoop a bit from your flue pan ahead into your second partition to dilute it a bit until you get things settled.

maplehound
03-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Another possible cause is that you are adding defoamer to your syrup pan. If you add defoamer to your syrup pan just add it at the draw off and maybe the opposite side in the next bay back. Don't add it to the middle of the second bay as all the dense syrup is drawn to the defoamer. If at all possible once the pans are sweetened just add the defoamer to the flue pan. doing this will cause smaller batches and draws more often.

Three Saps Sugar Shack
04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
be very carefull when drawing off... i believe you mentioned stopping up your deviders while drawing off... if you allow the pan to become too shallow , you'll scorch yer pan, better to draw off at the same rate your replacing it with, and , a little bit more often... dont try to rush a gallon of syrup... with a 2x6 , i'destimate that you'll be drawing off about 3.5 pints, approx once every 45-55 minutes ( might be off a couple ounces or minites , but you get my point?)