PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic board vs blanket?

NY mapler
01-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Does anyone have any experience or tips when insulating the inside of the arch on using ceramic board vs ceramic blanket? I'll be using fire brick and was going to use ceramic blanket behind the bricks and someone got talking to me about the insulating board. It sounds like it might be easier to work with as far as keeping it in place.
Any ideas or tips?

psparr
01-30-2017, 11:43 AM
No experience with the board, but the blanket has some stiffness to it. If you cut it a hair big it stays pretty well.

grapestomper
01-30-2017, 12:23 PM
The board is way easier behind the bricks.
Cut to fit and glue in. Brick over board then.

mudr
01-30-2017, 01:07 PM
I used the board in my firebox, and am glad I did. It is completely rigid and was easy to brick over. Now for the flue area I used left over 2 inch blanket because I had it and it didn't cost me anything. While the blanket is a stiffer than what the name suggests, I wouldn't want to try to put over a taller vertical wall such as the side of the firebox. That said, it worked well on 8 inch tall sidewall of the flue area. Stuffed it in and it held.

If I were to do another arch and didn't have leftover materials to use up for free, I'd go board throughout the entire arch.

NY mapler
01-30-2017, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info!

Grapestomper, what kind of glue did you use for the board? Did you use any kind of cement for the firebrick?

motowbrowne
01-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Just to let you know, the blanket is like 1/3 the price of board. I used board on my last rig and was happy with it. When I priced it out for my new rig it came out to like $700 versus under $200 for blanket. The blanket is available on Amazon or through McGill's warehouse. I obviously opted for blanket. I know several producers who've used it and are happy with it. Also, in searching for reasonably priced board, I called several syrup supply dealers more than one said that they never stock board, and that they sell blanket with every rig they sell. It might be a hair more difficult to install, but for $500 in savings, I think I'll manage. :)

grapestomper
01-31-2017, 11:31 AM
The guy I bought the board from said use lots of silicone. that's what I did.
Used the refractory cement for the bricks over the board.

Dale Sparrow
01-31-2017, 03:36 PM
High temp caulking, Fiberfrax. Good to 2,300 degrees. Designed for boiler/furnace applications.