PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to cermic insulation?

lyford
01-30-2017, 07:53 AM
Well title pretty much says it. Just wondering if there is a safe alternative to ceramic insulation. I installed the blanket into my new arch yesterday. Wore gloves and a respirator. Just wondering if I should be concerned about fibers breaking off when I fire up the rig and heading out the stove pipe. Seems like the smoke and exhaust would carry most of the crap away with it. Mostly worried about my kids (helpers). Does anybody use anything else? One more thing, do i need to insulate the bottom of the ash box? Thanks -justin

Aa2tn
01-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Hi Justin, I am in western ny also. You do not have to insulate the bottom of the ash box. There is an alternative to the ceramic blanket called arch board or insul board. It is similar to a homasote board. But if you have already installed the blanket you should be good to go. Did you cover the blanket with fire brick in the firebox area? The firebox area is the only place you would stir up the blanket but most people brick that area to keep it from being damaged and having to be replaced. Hope that helps! Where in wny are you? I am in East Aurora ....Jim.

lyford
01-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Hey Jim, I'm over in Hamburg, but I have family in EA over on Luther Rd and more on Nye Hill Rd. Haven't fire bricked yet, gonna go get them tomorrow and get started. The cheapest place I can find is thruway builders for $2.45 a brick (full and half the same price). You don't by chance know of any place cheaper do you? Thanks!

mudr
01-30-2017, 10:56 AM
Lyford- I live just north of Batavia. I got my brick from a place just off 490 in Gates (far western suburb of Rochester). I want to say I payed $2, or just under, for my split brick. My memory is a bit fuzzy on the exact price, but I do recall it being like half to a third of the price of Home Depot/Lowes. The place was called Weckesser Brick Company.

I have two or three sections of 1 inch thick 1x3ft arch board left over from my arch job. I got them for $12 from bascom. It's a bit of a drive, but I'd sell it to you for ~half price. Let me know, I can take a look at my inventory.

lyford
01-30-2017, 11:18 AM
mudr, Thanks for the info and the offer, correct me if I am wrong but isnt the ceramic board and paper made of the same material the blanket is. I was hoping to find a material that is not carcinogenic. Maybe such a product doesnt exist. I mean maybe I'm worrying about nothing. It does seem like everyone on here uses some sort of ceramic insulation. Its just that as someone who has a had a brush with this disease before, using something that can cause cancer makes me a little uneasy is all.

lyford
01-30-2017, 11:20 AM
mudr, did you brick the entire arch or just the fire box?

mudr
01-30-2017, 11:25 AM
I used board and brick in the firebox, and then used 2 inch blanket in the flue area. That 2 inch was repurposed from my craptastic barrel rig. Pretty pleased with how it fit despite being repurposed.

So, brick only in firebox.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lyford
01-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Thanks mudr

psparr
01-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Look around for a block or concrete supply place, they will be the cheapest for fire brick.

red dorakeen
01-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Like psparr look for a block supplier in your area.

I know eastern NY would be too far from you but just so you know what price could be, I paid $1.62 (full or splits the same) a couple weeks ago.

Daveg
01-30-2017, 07:06 PM
I had fun using castable insulating refractory cement. I covered the ramp and c-channel riser in my arch. In WNY try:Hi-Temp Fabrication 79 Perry Street, Buffalo, NY;
Unifrax I LLC 600 Riverwalk Parkway, Suite 120, Tonawanda, NY;
Industrial Furnace Company, Inc. 40 Humboldt Street, Rochester, NY
I got mine at Hanyan-Higgins in Syracuse.

rdcrksoccer14
01-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Like psparr look for a block supplier in your area.

I know eastern NY would be too far from you but just so you know what price could be, I paid $1.62 (full or splits the same) a couple weeks ago.

Do you have the name of that place by chance?

red dorakeen
01-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Do you have the name of that place by chance?

Montfort Bros. in Fishkill.

lyford
01-31-2017, 07:24 AM
Daveg, did you use the cement over the insulation or instead of insulation? Thanks. Also psparr thanks for the tip, I found split bricks for $1.27, and fulls for $1.48.

Aa2tn
01-31-2017, 09:54 AM
Lyford, where did you find them? That is a great price! Also check your inbox I had sent you a PM.......Jim.

lyford
01-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Aa2tn, Got the pm, thanks. The place I called is Scranton Thruway Builders on Walden in Depew. I'm headed there after work today.

pyro
01-31-2017, 09:36 PM
My experience with ceramic insulation blanket is that it is does not shed fine fibers/dust into the air nearly as much as regular housing/attic insulation. I actually never even thought to wear a mask since it sheds so little. I would not imagine it would be an issue during operation - but that's my non expert opinion.

Another alternative is Roxul Acoustic and Fire Batts but you definitely need a mask for that. It also doesn't stay together very well so I wouldn't recommend it.

I've just recently mentioned in the CT thread that I purchased firebrick in Redding, CT from Route 7 Mason Supply for $1.25 for splits, $1.29 for fulls. They have both light tan and red. Prob too far from west ny.

Daveg
02-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Daveg, did you use the cement over the insulation or instead of insulation? Thanks. Also psparr thanks for the tip, I found split bricks for $1.27, and fulls for $1.48.I used it over the insulation. Hanyan-Higgins in Syracuse has used bricks for super cheap. (800) 721-2745