PDA

View Full Version : plastic tank repair

mohmaple
01-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Hello
Anyone have any luck repairing plastic collection tanks? two small cracks 6" long on the bottom 425 gallon tank

Mohmaple

K.I. Joe
01-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Polyethylene is repairable with heat. Heat area until shiny and at the same time heat a small piece to blend into the crack. What caused the crack? If sun damage the plastic may be brittle and hard to repair

BAP
01-27-2017, 07:43 PM
I had one welded one time years ago by a company that did plastic work. You can find do it your self plastic welders on line do a search. I also have used a plastic epoxy to repair a tank. Unfortunately, once they start cracking the plastic has started to deteriorate.

WVKeith
01-28-2017, 04:35 AM
I have some experience with plastic kayaks. If you want a structurally sound fix, then the plastic welding is a good bet. You may find somebody that will weld it through a kayak supplier/forum. If you just want to water proof the crack, you can glue a neoprene or rubber patch over the crack with a rubber cement. Or for a narrow crack, they make a plastic for repairing the bottom of skis, that kind of burns and melts like a wax, but hardens into a solid plastic. Some thoughts

Keith

Chickenman
01-28-2017, 08:16 AM
Check to see if PVC cleaner will soften the plastic. If it does then you can make a paste from Air soft pellets and MEK(methyl ethal keytone). Mix the 2 together in a glass jar let sit overnight, covered, and brush it over the spit. If really large reinforce with window screen before fixing. Repaired a few camper water holding tanks this way. Be sure to be away from open flame and have good ventilation.

Jim Brown
01-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Drill a tiny hole at the END of both cracks and then proceed to repair The small hole will Stop the crack from going any farther and what ever you chose to repair with will hold

Jim

Sunnyacres
01-30-2017, 08:24 PM
Try a body shop they plastic weld all the time.