PDA

View Full Version : humboldt countys big leaf maples

kilroi
01-26-2017, 11:10 PM
so i am a new resident to california's humboldt county for the year, originally from worcester county massachusetts, ive tapped sum trees over the years back home and what they got for maples out here are the big leafs.
now, the thing is the temperature hardly reaches below freezing over the rainy season (winter) here so theres no hard freeze over the winter on the big leafs in my area (and no thaw in spring.) i have heard of people tapping the big leaf maples in colder areas. a good friend of mine told me of a sporadic range from nov. to april. but am i in the right climate zone for tapping them? do i need those cold temperatures drops? and thaws during the day?
no matter what, those nutrients and sugars are slowly heading up that tree to make leaves and get ready for sun.
anyone with any big leaf maple experience? or warmer climate zone maple tapping experience?

best regards,
kilroi

Calycanthus
01-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Simple answer, yes, you need the temperature change. At the end of the season, when sap flows regardless of temp, is when you get that off flavor referred to as 'buddy'.

Simply put, eastern north America has a selected competitive advantage. Even other parts of the world with similar weather have not been able to replicate the results, although I have no personal knowledge of that, just what i've heard, although my sources in this case would be reliable.

Daveg
01-27-2017, 09:38 AM
If ya got 'em, tap 'em. Get a sample gallon of sap, put it on the stove and let 'er rip. You'll know within an hour whether or not you can proceed.....

fisheatingbagel
01-27-2017, 11:31 AM
I would think you could use vacuum to get some sap flow, but without freezing temperatures there won't be natural flow...