PDA

View Full Version : Force 5 inside arch pictures?

treehugger
01-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the inside of a Lapierre force 5 arch? I'm curious as to how far back the ramp/wall starts and ends. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-25-2017, 04:39 AM
wow i have to do some digging but I should have pictures from Randy's 4x14. i will have to say all of 6' before the ramp

treehugger
01-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Thanks, it would be helpful.

ennismaple
01-26-2017, 12:28 PM
This is what ours looked like brand new in the fall of 2009. It was one of the first units sold so they may have changed some things. My brother is 5'10" and was able to lie down inside. We have a 3.5'x14" arch.

Hope this helps.

David in MI
01-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Nice pics; thanks for posting.

treehugger
01-26-2017, 04:45 PM
This is what ours looked like brand new in the fall of 2009. It was one of the first units sold so they may have changed some things. My brother is 5'10" and was able to lie down inside. We have a 3.5'x14" arch.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Very helpful. Are you happy with the flue pan boil? I see it goes up to meet bottom of pan about halfway back on the flue pan.

Shaun
01-26-2017, 04:50 PM
on a 2.5 x 10 it is right around 4 feet to the back wall.

treehugger
01-26-2017, 04:58 PM
4 feet back from the wall meaning the top of the ramp?

Shaun
01-26-2017, 05:00 PM
No, that is just the length of firebox. If you look at other pics posted it would be to where the nozzles are on the straight up and down part. If that makes sense.

treehugger
01-26-2017, 05:41 PM
No, that is just the length of firebox. If you look at other pics posted it would be to where the nozzles are on the straight up and down part. If that makes sense.

It makes sense. The ramp starts about 4' back on a ten foot long evaporator. Now to find the sweet spot as to where it should end.

ennismaple
01-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Our flue pan boils hard! Without defoamer the sap rolls into the drip rails of the steam hood.

Remember that because of the secondary air everything from the top of the wood to the underside of the pan is a rolling ball of fire.

Our syrup pan is 4' long so the back of the firebox is 2' under the flue pan. Because we cut our wood to 44" and try to leave 12" to the door the back of the sticks is about 12" from the back of the box. You do want to be careful when loading that the wood doesn't hit the back of the firebox or you can crack the bricks.

treehugger
01-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Our flue pan boils hard! Without defoamer the sap rolls into the drip rails of the steam hood.

Remember that because of the secondary air everything from the top of the wood to the underside of the pan is a rolling ball of fire.

Our syrup pan is 4' long so the back of the firebox is 2' under the flue pan. Because we cut our wood to 44" and try to leave 12" to the door the back of the sticks is about 12" from the back of the box. You do want to be careful when loading that the wood doesn't hit the back of the firebox or you can crack the bricks.

That's good to know. At the least I hope yo improve flue pan boiling and some efficiency would be nice too. I don't have a force 5, but it is similar. Was modeled after it. The manifold and blower works great. Good forceful air coming ftom top and bottom. I noticed that the fire would choke down a little if the door wasn't cracked open a little. So the extra 14 nozzles introducing air should hopefully help that. I may make the best ramp more gradually sloped as well making it meet the bottom on the flue pan a little further back.

eagle lake sugar
01-28-2017, 06:21 AM
Ennis, if that was my brother I'd have to shut him in there for a while, cause that's what brothers do!

ennismaple
01-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Ennis, if that was my brother I'd have to shut him in there for a while, cause that's what brothers do!
I can neither confirm nor deny that I closed the door... He did make the mistake of hiding in the dryer once while playing hide and go seek. He didn't find turning it on with him inside nearly as funny as I did!

DrTimPerkins
01-30-2017, 01:49 PM
He didn't find turning it on with him inside nearly as funny as I did!

Having three older brothers (and two older sisters), I know how he feels. The usual play conversation went something like this.

Scenario 1
Brothers "Let's play cowboys and Indians...which do you want to be?"
Me "I'll be a cowboy."
Brothers "OK, we're the Indians and we're going to tie you up."

Scenario 2
Brothers "Let's play cowboys and Indians...which do you want to be?"
Me "I'll be a Indian"
Brothers "OK, we're the cowboys and we're going to tie you up."

I'll save the story of the time they convinced me to jump out of a moving car for another time.