PDA

View Full Version : Syrup bubbles in glass containers

scw
03-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I like to pack a lot in glass as it keeps longer. But I have a bunch that have some foam on the top that does not seem to be going away. Obviously a deterent for the consumer. Any suggestions once it is packed?

maplehound
03-27-2007, 10:15 PM
I know jsut how you feel! I had the same problem a couple years back. I ended up putting the bottles into a pan of water and heating them up till the syrup was real thin. Then I just worked them a little till the bubbles disapated at the top. It might take a couple tries to get all the foam but if does work. Don't over heat the bottles as they might build up pressure and break. I also found that the bottles will seal up even better this way. Kind of like canning vegatables.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-28-2007, 06:57 AM
If you can slow down the flow going into the bottles and have a nice medium steady stream vs the stream jumping and jerking around you can eliminate all the foam to start with. I never bottle in glass but in pint and quart bottles, I can fill up a quart bottle in 20 to 30 seconds without any foam. I have one of the $ 20 nozzles from Bascoms, so maybe that is the key but if I run it too fast, I have tons of foam on the top.

John Burton
03-28-2007, 11:37 AM
You can also tilt the container like pouring a beer into a glass and that will help alot . i also keep toothpicks handy to break the bubbles up if the get to bad like on b syrup just a little stir is all it takes

danno
03-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Here's a trick I recently learned from a fellow producer to stop foaming while bottling. He has two ball valves on his canner, one connected to the other. He sets the first one at the flow rate he wants. He then uses the second ball valve to turn flow on and off. He can open 2nd valve completely for each bottle, but flow rate is controlled by the first ball valve. He does have to adjust the first valve occasionally as head pressure reduces as canner begins to empty, but he does not need to be nearly as careful with the on/off valve.

Works like a charm.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I forgot to add I have two valves on my canner, the first is the bottling valve from Bascoms which is the one closest to the bottles and the second is a stainless ball valve which I open and close the flow off with. The bottling valve is necked down to a nice filling size and it produces a good steady smooth stream. I leave it wide open and adjust the amount of flow with the ball valve and about 1/2 open, it will fill a quart without any bubbles.

scw
04-01-2007, 08:46 AM
I just have the old draw off spout that I adjust manually. I do try to keep a steady stream and pour it in off the side to reduce splashing. Despite that, still got bubbles. Did consider heating up the glass, but have not done so yet. Been pulling lines and cleaning buckets this weekend.