PDA

View Full Version : Lavoie Sugar shack 2017 season

backyard sugaring
01-23-2017, 10:15 PM
I opened up the sugars shack and quickly closed the doors. I guess I better get in there and start cleaning it out. Good luck everyone. Lee

morningstarfarm
01-24-2017, 09:12 PM
I know what you mean bud...mine still resembles a gypsy camp...

backyard sugaring
01-30-2017, 09:04 PM
This time I opened the door and starting cleaning the sugars shack out. It always amazes me when we put everything away it is clean. Then you come back in 11 months and it needs to be cleaned again. Looks like we are going to tap earlier than ever. Maybe next week. Good luck Lee

backyard sugaring
02-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Pans are set,taps are ready, just need sap. The sugars shack has never looked so good.Looking to tap this weekend. 2 weeks earlier than ever. Hope you all have a good season. Lee

morningstarfarm
02-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Nice!..good luck this season brother...hoping to get back in the game this weekend...weather permitting..lol

red maples
02-17-2017, 05:25 PM
been crazy trying to get r done with the weather and stuff... rough going good luck!!!

backyard sugaring
02-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Wow what a weekend. We tapped sat and Sunday started boiling last night. Fixed the ro and are pushing sap through it. This is the earliest I have ever tapped. Hope to go out and see you guys this year.

HudsonHawk
02-26-2017, 07:59 AM
Watch out in the woods....it got so warm the ticks are active!

backyard sugaring
03-04-2017, 11:05 AM
The 3rd day we are watching our taps frozen solid. What a week we made over 6 gallons of medium amber. Then the freeze happened. We were able to flush the ro out and clean our holding tanks. Looks like tomorrow will be another day of frozen taps. Looks like we will be swimming in sap the rest of the week. Mitch, Barry, and I went to see Chris over at morning star farm to watch 25 gallons be made in an hour. Thanks for invite. Hope all is well with my fellow sugarmakers.

MapleSaint
03-05-2017, 06:26 AM
I am all froze up around here. It's kind of a good thing because I am on call for work till Friday. So hopefully by Friday night there is enough sap to boil all weekend.

backyard sugaring
03-05-2017, 10:31 PM
We have bags of sap sickles on most of our trees. Hopefully they thaw out before the trees let go. The Sugarshack is clean and ready to go. Looks like we should have a good week in southern NH.

backyard sugaring
03-06-2017, 07:47 PM
Starting to wonder if we ever will un thaw here in Southern NH. I thought we would warm up today. We haven't fully tapped yet. Maybe later in the week. Keep the faith. Lee

backyard sugaring
03-14-2017, 08:29 AM
No sap since Thursday. Boiled every drop we had. We emptied the flue pan and put water in it made 6 gallons. The kids removed all the bags off the trees. It is nice they can drive. The old red wagon has been retired. Keep our fingers crossed the snow may help us in the end. Heading in Sugarshack to clean the pans. Hope to go see you guys this weekend.

Dill
03-14-2017, 09:04 AM
That was a good idea. Never thought of it. Boiled off what sap I could move. I have a huge block of ice in the woods tank. And a frozen up evap.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
03-14-2017, 09:14 AM
I should of pulled the bags off too so the wind doesn't send mine flying. I did go reinforce them with rubber bands against the trees, I hope that works and I'm not missing 30 bags under 12" of snow tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backyard sugaring
03-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Looks like tomorrow we will put the bags back on the trees. I was hoping to wash down the holding tanks. Still cold in southern NH. Next week looks good for a few days. This hobby is becoming work. Lol

backyard sugaring
03-17-2017, 04:25 PM
We have sap in the bags and some coming from are shurflo vacuum. It is like starting a new season. No sap in either pan and not enough to start the ro. Next week we may have a few days. Then cold again. Have a good weekend. Lee

backyard sugaring
03-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Collected some sap today going to turn the ro on tomorrow. Took the finish pan off and put new insulation down. Maybe Monday night we can get back in the game. Been a week since our last boil. Hope all is well for you guys. Lee