PDA

View Full Version : how far

treefinder
03-27-2007, 08:43 PM
wanted to know how far i can draw my sap from the woods so i can eliminate some tanksand get it closer to the barn,i'm in alot of mud right now and i think its going to get to the point were i won't be able to gather.

emericksmaple
03-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Do you have enough slope to get it from where your tanks are to the barn? We have 1600 taps in a bush and it is 2500 feet from the tank and the vaccum pump, and releaser to the first tap and booster. This year we carried 18" at the pump and 18" at each releaser. With just an 1 1/4 " dry line. And wh had no problems.

gmcooper
03-27-2007, 09:30 PM
I believe there is a farm in VT? that transports sap a mile down the side of the road with vacuum. Saw a bit on it on tv a year or 2 ago. They run lines thru culvets to cross roads and driveways. Saved them a lot of time hauling sap.

jdj
03-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Kevin,
Is the mud really that bad where you are? If you happen to get stuck don't be afraid to give me a shout, I'll try to help ya out.
Jason

maplehound
03-27-2007, 10:08 PM
We put up miles of pipe line in the woods to get the sap to our tanks, why not put up another 1000 ft or so and pump it to the sugar house or to a road or drive way that you can transprt from easier? I pumped up hill about 30 ft and then gradually down hill over 900 ft back to my sugar house for years, till the land owner decided to do something else with that woods. Now I pump 800 ft across a field ditch to a gravel driveway. There I have a wagon with a 550 gallon tank sitting and waiting to be gorught down the road to the sugar house. Before I pumped it I too was always stuck in the mud. What a hassel and a bad way to manage your wood lot. Do what you have to but try to pump it as much as possible.

treefinder
03-28-2007, 08:53 AM
i really appreciate it jason i had it planted pretty good sunday night i thought i would have baby massey's sprouting in the summer.jim malark came over and pulled me out with rogers belerus 4x4 and that had all it could do to get me out.down on the bottom of the hemlocks is bad news. i quarter royed the road in the one spot so maybe i can get some sap out of there this week. thanks a million kevin

markcasper
03-28-2007, 11:48 AM
quater royed the road??? Something the rest of us can learn from?

HanginAround
03-28-2007, 12:09 PM
:) I'm sure he meant corduroy... we don't get too hung up on spelling 'round here :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corduroy_road

markcasper
03-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Hanin around, I don't care about spelling, just coyeredd the road? I'd like to know what one could do to a wet raod and get instant results to pass on through. Only thing i have ever known was to wait til it firmed and or find another route

HanginAround
03-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Ohh, sorry, I thought you would know what corduroy was. Click the link I posted above, there's a pic there. Basically, lay wood of some sort crossways over the wet spot to distribute the weight. Corduroy fabric is named for the ribbed pattern of corduroy roads.

treefinder
03-28-2007, 01:39 PM
good job hanginaround. well explained

treefinder
03-28-2007, 01:43 PM
good explaination.

markcasper
03-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok, now i know what you meANT.

Russell Lampron
03-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Treefinder,

Do you have any hills in between where your sap tanks are and the barn. If so how high are they. If they aren't too high you could put in sap ladders to lift the sap over the hill and then down to the barn. It takes an inch of vacuum to lift a column of sap 1 foot. Of course you will lose some lift to friction so if you are pulling 18" of vacuum you could lift around 15 feet. Distance isn't a problem as long as you have a pump with enough cfm's.

Russ