PDA

View Full Version : New masonry gasification arch build.

Stoneduester
01-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Hi All, I am new to this forum, I have been observing for a few years now, but am just now posting. I am about to start a new arch, and thought that I would share my design ideas, and hopefully post progress shots of construction, as well as observations on its performance.

A quick bit about myself, I am a masonry contractor living in northern Vermont. I recently relocated back to the property that I grew up on, which has a formidable sugarbush behind the house. There are an estimated 325 taps back there, the farmer neighbors have been tapping them for as long as I remember (30+ years), but they are amenable to me "taking back" 50 or so taps to work myself. Over the years I have been paying close attention to masonry heaters and such, and have been paying close attention to the nature of combustion, and firebox designs. I have been mulling this particular design over in my head for a while, and just recently committed it to paper (Sketchup, actually).

The general philosophy of this design is to create a firebox that effectively gets hot enough for pyrolisis to occur, then administer preheated secondary combustion air directly below the pan, and as far forward as possible. My illustration shows a baffle above the firebox that kicks the gases forward, just above which is a cast refractory hump that has a bunch of small orifices in it. I figure that if I can mix the gases at this point, complete combustion takes place where it matters most.

I will do a little walk through of the design from the bottom up;

The ash pit, illustrated without a clean out door but will likely include one, is roughly 9" tall, and has two 2" schedule 40 steel pipes piped in from the rear. These pipes will have holes drilled at a 45* angle facing the cast iron grate (i.e. looking at it from the front, the right pipe will have holes drilled at 10:30, and the left pipe will have holes at 1:30). These pipes will obviously deliver air underneath the fire. They will run through the back wall into the illustrated rear chamber.

The firebox floor will have two cast iron grates that together make an opening that is roughly 16" long by 9" wide. The left and right side of the floor will be ramped towards the grates to move ash and coals toward the grates and ash pit. The firebox is deep enough to hold a good amount of coals below the level of the feeding door. The door will be a cast iron bake oven door that I took off of a Tulikivi masonry heater recently. The baffle at the top of the firebox is above the door, because I want to try to protect the door from the heat of secondary combustion to the best of my ability. It may be moot, the door may be doomed to begin with, but there is no harm in trying.

This is drawn for a 2x4 flat pan, I figure that if the firebox design proves effective, I can lengthen the heat exchange area without having to modify the firebox. I would be interested to see how well this design scales up for larger rigs.

The key feature of my design is the cast refractory heat exchanger/secondary air delivery piece. You can see in my illustration the air is piped into the floor below the rear of the arch, it is then drawn forward through channels in this cast refractory floor, and is injected just above the firebox. My perspective, as an armchair pyroengineer with a 12th grade education, is that the hump shown at the front of this cast piece is pretty critical. There are three sets of holes facing 9:00, 10:30, and 12:00 on this hump, they are all offset from one another. I am counting on the hump constricting and mixing the gases in that one concentrated area. The cross sectional area above that hump matches that of a 10" round flue pipe. I feel that the venturi effect (as best as I understand it) will further decrease the pressure right there, passively drawing in secondary air. Obviously, without a blower, the entire firebox would be a negative pressure zone, but I suspect that the throat area will exacerbate the negative pressure.

The gases flow underneath the pan to a standard base stack for a 24" wide rig, this is unillustrated. The base stacks seem to be available for 7" pipe, as well as 10", I am opting for the 10" as I believe that it will increase the draft. In the chimney sweep world they say that you need the three Ts for proper combustion, that is Time, Temperature, and Turbulence. I am hoping that this design is optimized for this. Time is addressed by the available length underneath the pan between the hump (or throat) and the base stack. Temperature is addressed by having the firebox inuslated with 1" of ceramic wool blanket between the firebrick and the exterior masonry. And Turbulence is addressed by the venturi effect created by the hump/throat, rapidly mixing gases seems to be key to good combustion.

I have some brick on hand leftover from a job that I will build the exterior out of, I think they will be more stable then cement blocks. The top of the arch will be covered by a stainless steel chase cover that a local chimney supply company will fabricate for me. Hopefully it is easily visible in the attached drawings. It basically just spans the two layers of masonry, and runs down each side an inch or so, effectively acting as a "clip" of sorts that will mechanically bind the two layers together. I did not illustrate a small flange that will center the pan. I acknowledge that I may encounter clearance issues with draw off valves and thermometers, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

I will build this in my garage, and have the rig lifted out by my farmer neighbor. The first year of sugaring will take place outside of my garage, I will see how this design performs, and make sure that it is appropriately sized for my needs, then eventually build a sugar house for a permanent installation. Additionally, every year I attend a trade show locally to peddle my wares, and often bring down impractically heavy displays of my work. I will plan on bringing this rig down this year for display. I have not calculated weight, but my gut tells me in the neighborhood of 3,000 pounds. Heavy for sure, but manageable with available equipment. It will be built on a reinforced concrete slab, and experience has shown me that structures of this nature are surprisingly moveable.

The pipes for combustion air are stubbed into the void below what might be the flue pan. I am hoping that this rig will function effectively passively, but I wanted to leave the option open of being able to easily add a blower if I see fit. This should be easily plumbed to do such a thing. Further, I think that it will be good to be able to experiment with primary/secondary air ratios. For example, I suspect that at start up, it will be good to have a lot of under-fire air, and as things heat up shifting over to more over-fire air will be better. Perhaps some type of butterfly valves in these pipes will be good for these adjustments. This is another variable that I will leave for experimentation, as there are limits to my constructive speculation.

I think that is all for now, hopefully the details of my design have been more intriguing than boring (you wouldn't be reading this sentence if you found the previous content boring). I would appreciate any feedback, and concerns that may not have crossed my mind. I am hoping to get this thing constructed in the next three weeks or so, so hopefully this will be a fairly active thread, with construction photos and such. Now let's see if I can attach some drawings....

A view of the outside of the arch.
A 3/4 cutaway view of the arch, hopefully clearly illustrating the firebox, throat, and heat exchanger.
A cross section of the arch, illustrating where and how combustion air is delivered.
A cross section of the firebox.

For some reason I was unable to load a cross section of the cast refractory heat exchanger floor thing. You will have to take my word that it is there, just a hollow floor that leads to the perforated throat.

Thank you for your time, -Alfred N. Dedam, Old Goat Masonry (I am only 33 though, I don't know why I named my business this).

claystroup
01-22-2017, 08:02 AM
Looks awesome. I have been a General Contractor for over 30 years and have always thought a masonary arch like that would be feasible and truly a work of art. I say go ahead and build it!

toquin
01-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Keep us updated on progress.

killingworthmaple
01-23-2017, 06:02 AM
I too have put a lot of thought of constructing one out of masonry. My understanding of gasification is that you need as big as a firebox as possible and I have been told that 2x2 is on the smallish side. I have boiled on a 2x6 gasification arch and the fire box was huge done right they are incredible. Keep us informed.

Stoneduester
02-09-2017, 05:44 AM
Well, I have started, I poured the slab and cast the refractory slab that goes underneath the firebox. I built a tent last night, and am ready to start laying brick when time becomes available. In the meantime, I started a blog. Masonryevaporator.wordpress.com . I may be over estimating the amount of interest in this, but I will blog on anyway.

Stoneduester
02-13-2017, 03:27 PM
I have started laying fire brick, and built the primary air manifold. There are course by course pictures available.
Masonryevaporator.wordpress.com

Stoneduester
02-27-2017, 09:34 PM
I am making progress on the thing, I am just about done with the masonry and am rounding up the metal components this week. I am having a custom base stack fabricated by a chimney supply company, their computer guy is on vacation this week, but will be back next Monday. It's neat, I sent them drawings today, and the computer guy will be able to work up a drawing in his program, which is then sent over to a computer controlled plasma cutter. They understand that it is for an arch, and time sensitive, so they will sick him on it first thing Monday morning, and get everything back to me ASAP. One more night laying brick, and working a piece of granite into a lintel over the arched door, and one more night working with firebrick to finish the secondary air channels, and I should have her.

Be sure to look at my blog documenting this build if you want more specific information, I believe that I have been fairly thorough with the blog.
https://masonryevaporator.wordpress.com/

I don't know why the picture rotated.

BRL
02-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Looking Great! Can't wait to see what this bad boy does! Keep up the good work!

Ghs57
04-06-2017, 05:07 PM
Stoneduster,

How did your arch come out? Your last blog update was back in February. We're all hanging on waiting for further details!

Stoneduester
04-07-2017, 07:53 PM
I am flattered that you asked. It is working great, once things got underway I wasn't very vigilant about collecting data, but it moves right along. I would estimate a 10 gph evaporation rate on a 2x4 flat pan. I visited two other sugar makers today, both with W.F.Mason pans and arches, and my rig seems to perform as well, possibly better, but I want them to stop by and make that judgement. One thing that I noticed right away was that they both had smoke coming out of their chimneys (one running a blower), where I don't get a single puff of smoke after it heats up. Even while/immediately after firing. Absolutely everything burns. When it's going good, I get a full boil throughout the pan, except for a coaster sized circle where raw sap flows in. The two rigs that I visited today had a lot of foaming, so I couldn't observe the sap directly. My rig hasn't been anywhere near as foamy, but maybe that was just early season sap. I have a full day of boiling to do tomorrow, so maybe this boil will be foamy like them. I put a stack thermometer on it, and it was running around 1100 degrees the first time, then each subsequent boil it was reading a couple hundred degrees hotter, last time around 1,600. I thought that it was the wood, as that was a variable, but I noticed today that it read 800 when it was stone cold, so that's kind of a bummer. The masonry expanded a bit, namely the lintel over the door, I should have protecred it from the heat better, and incorporated some type of slip joint to allow it to move easier. I turned out the lights the other night right after reloading, and the entire 4' tall base stack was glowing red, and I had a 2' flame out the top, after an additional 8' of 10" pipe.

In conclusion, I am really pleased with its performance, there are a few minor changes that I will make in the future, but I wish to rely on the judgement of more experienced maple people before making any claims about its performance relative to commercially available arched.

I will take some pictures and videos tomorrow. Thanks again for following up.

vach50
04-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Nice work! Couple questions. How did you calculate the area and ratio of primary and secondary air? What material is your secondary air header made of? Definitely interested in doing something similar to this with my existing arch. Thanks.

Ghs57
04-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Glad to hear it went so well. I can relate to lack of insulation. After the first season with mine, I had to go back and re-insulate the back of the ramp and stack base and the door. The door would glow red. I also added forced air over and under the fire. That is a bummer on the stack thermometer, but 1600 seems way too hot to me anyway. My stack runs 750-900, sometimes near 1000, depending on the wood. I've been told that flames out the stack indicate a lack of oxygen for the fire (unburned gases ignite when they hit the open air). I haven't had that problem, but do get smoke after reloading. What did you use for a door?

Casting and building my arch was something I wanted to do, and was inexpensive, but now that my production is greater, I am not so sure it was the best thing. Every design flaw means a loss of efficiency. A pro arch should have solved the problems build into mine, so if I upgrade in the future, I'll be looking at those. But, this is where I am for now. I'll be rebuilding the firebox this year (some bricks came loose), and casting a refractory grate. My steel grates melted as fast as I replaced them. Just about everything I have is homebuilt, and it shows.

Look forward to the pictures.

Stoneduester
04-11-2017, 07:21 AM
Here are links to two videos a made, a walk around tour of the arch. The day that I made the videos I averaged 12.75 gallons per hour.

https://youtu.be/SAn8MWFTWyQ
https://youtu.be/OQI22a6hAs0

vach50, I honestly just guessed, I have two 2" pipes delivering air under the fire, and two going over the fire. I built it to include butterfly dampers to control auf and aof, but I think it runs well wide open. There were a few sleepless nights, worrying about there not being enough air, but I figured that my wood stove has relatively tiny little air inlets, and that can get going pretty good. The header or manifold for the secondary combustion air is cast refractory concrete, Loucast 3000, or Mizzou or something like that. I got it from Sheffield Pottery in MA.

Ghs57
04-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the videos. I think an evap rate over 12 is outstanding for a 2x4 continuous flow flat pan. The first year I used my arch that's what I had, and I would say it averaged under 10, at about 7 or so. I built my arch for a 2x6 pan, so I had a plate on the rear two feet. But it was not insulated, and it warped in the heat. When I moved to a 2x6 hybrid pan, that plate got cut back to the stack base and everything got insulated better, including the door. My pan sits on a thick pan gasket, which sits right on the fire brick. I sized the inside of the arch so that the pan overhangs a bit on all four sides. A gasket would help with your warped base, and would help stop cold air from coming in under the pan. That should help with the efficiency. The fire looks good and hot, even without forced air (which you could always try to see if it helps at all). I like that door. Mine is from a barrel stove kit.