PDA

View Full Version : Novice Question

Conococheague
01-21-2017, 06:23 AM
This is only my second season making syrup. After watching two friends in their first season in 2015 I got the urge. In 2016, I tapped 5 trees last year for 120 gallons of sap and 3 gallons of syrup. I didn't record nor do I remember when I put my taps in. My question is - what is the harm in tapping too early? Can you actually lower the season's sap production by tapping too early versus waiting or do you just have some unproductive days or weeks before conditions improve? I live in Franklin County but tap and boil with my buddy who's a dairy farmer in western Perry County. With the lousy ice fishing season we're having, I'm itching to start tapping trees and making syrup bit not if jumping the gun will lower the season's production. Please advise. Thanks

barnbc76
01-21-2017, 08:14 AM
The hole in the tree will start to heal itself when bacteria gets inside, it takes a certain amount of time to heal up and thus stop the flow of sap. Depending on the type of spile you use and sanitation methods handling them and how good a hole you drill all have an effect on how long it will take to heal. The new Check valve spouts are supposed to prevent a backflow of sap going back into the tree, reducing the bacteria introduced to the hole. If you are using regular metal spiles and plastic spouts then you will find they don't produce as long. Clean and sanitise them well. I would ask your friend when they plan on tapping, it is regional and I don't know your climate.

Sugarmaker
01-21-2017, 08:38 AM
I use 6 weeks as a rule of thumb for the tap hole to be productive. Good luck! Your not the only one itching!:) Just seems a week or two early.
Regards,
Chris

Conococheague
01-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the replies - based on them, I thing I'll wait. I had a blast last year and plan to double the amount of trees we tap this year. I'll watch this site and the weather. Thanks again

KV Sappers
01-21-2017, 05:49 PM
I'm from Perry county and I look at the weather forecast. I use only buckets and most of my trees are reds. My trees run the best when the temps are in the high 30's to mid 40's with night time temps in upper 20's. Once that hole is bored the clock starts ticking and 6 weeks sounds about right.