PDA

View Full Version : Filter Aid in cone filter?

Dennis McGill
01-20-2017, 11:48 PM
Does it make any since to use Filter Aid if I'm filtering through cone filter? I'd like a filter press but not sure I want to invest in it just yet, but would like a little cleaner syrup.

Bricklayer
01-21-2017, 04:13 AM
I've never tried it but have read enough posts to know that it probley wouldn't work. DE is basically is the filter on a filter press and needs pressure to get I through. Gravity alone will probley not do it. Have you tried using prefilters in your cone filter? I use a couple inside the Orlon filter and they seem to take most of the Niter out.

Windy Acres
01-21-2017, 04:50 AM
i cant say anything about cone filters, but i can say i took advice from mountainvan, i use a 16x24 canner with 5 prefilters and an orlon, and what a difference it has made mixing filter aid in, i use about a cup with the first batch to prime the filters, then about 1/4 cup/gallon from there on. at the end of the day i pull off the first pre filter and there is virtually no sugar sand on the second filter

maple maniac65
01-21-2017, 05:25 AM
Surface area for filtering on flat filters is 100%. Cone filters seem to only filter near the bottom.

pobryan
01-21-2017, 05:12 PM
Only filtering near the bottom is the biggest problem with using a cone filter. If you could use all the area of a cone filter then filter aid might work. I don't want hijack your thread so I'm going to start another one on how I optimize using a cone filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanD
01-23-2017, 05:28 PM
I can't speak to the filter aid, but I get more out of each cone pre-filter each boil by unclipping most of the top, sliding the opening to the side and grabbing the lowest point on the filter with a set of tongs. I then lift out the bottom of the cone and clip the bottom of the filter to the top edge of the Orlon filter where it hangs on the hooks of my holder. This way I get some use out of the sides of the filter before it gets too full of sand.

It's helped me through some slow filters and it cuts down on how many I go through each boil.

Sean