PDA

View Full Version : sump pump to go 50' away @ 8' lift?

11-Nick
01-19-2017, 09:35 PM
It's 50' across my yard from my driveway to where I boil. I tear the yard up if I drive over it this time of year, so I have been bucketing it from the tank on the truck to the head tank. I'm getting some sort of transfer pump. If I get a submersible pump and drop it in the tank on the truck, will I have a problem with the hose coming UP out of the tank, DOWN to ground level, 50' across the yard, then 10' UP to top of head tank? I'm creating a gooseneck. I don't think the distance or the lift will be a problem. Just worried about the gooseneck.
Thanks

unc23win
01-19-2017, 10:18 PM
That sounds reasonable and a heck of a lot better than carrying buckets. 50' with 8' of rise isn't much at all. I would just use some black water pipe. I like it to rise up from the pump then have a elbow then go to the tank. The rise takes the stress off the fitting on the pump and helps drain the line and keep the line and pump from freezing. With 50' if it's hard to drain you might want to have it so you can blow it out.

bowhunter
01-20-2017, 09:46 AM
The gooseneck won't be any problem. The pump will only see the friction loss from the distance and the head to pump it up 10 feet. It should work just fine.

11-Nick
01-20-2017, 09:57 AM
I guess I'm looking for input. If my hauling tank stays on the truck 50' from my head tank, and I'm going to pump it that far, do you have an opinion on which would be better.....
1. a submersible pump in the tank on the truck, pumping through a hose to the head tank
2. place a standard 110 transfer pump between the truck and the head tank, with a hose going from that pump to either tank

I'm growing, so I'm encountering growing pains. How will setup, tear down, and draining the system be for these two setups? Either one will be better than carrying buckets, but I'd rather do it right the first time rather than hating what I've created for years to come. Is there clear cut pro/cons to either?

psparr
01-20-2017, 10:14 AM
The easiest method would be to bring the sap to my place.

11-Nick
01-20-2017, 12:52 PM
I know this guy who left the valves open on the bottom of his collection tanks in the woods. He went to collect sap to boil... I'll be darned! There wasn't any sap in the tanks!
I could go to all that work to tap my trees and collect my sap and give it to you. But I'm afraid you'd just lose it.

Before you go hijacking my thread... why don't you go make one of them two handed tools for someone and quit causing trouble.

Would still like to hear if anyone has any input in submersible vs standard transfer pump setups.

psparr
01-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Touché good man.

spud
01-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Webb's sell a submergible stainless pump called the Dominator. You can get it in 110 and they work great. I used one for a couple years when I had a tank 600 feet into the woods. I was lifting sap 70 feet and pumping 15 GPM 600 feet. It's a very handy pump to have as long as you have power to plug it in. They cost about $300 and they are bullet proof. Northern Tools may sell it also but the price is a bit higher.

Spud

maple flats
01-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Be careful of submersible sump type pumps, they have oil in them. You don't want that to leak into the sap. Use some type of SS pump that has no such design.. This is what I use, but there are many other options. https://jet.com/product/detail/28146bdf2849464f8a4011bee277b4d0?jcmp=pla:ggl:a_nj _dur_gen_hardware_a1_b1:hardware_pumps_sprinkler_b ooster_irrigation_system_pumps_a1_other:na:PLA_648 327839_30263618662_aud-155003204480:pla-161695709340:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15
They are available from many sources, just search for the best price when you buy. I got mine from Northern for $159, now cjet is cheaper, tomorrow someone else might be.