PDA

View Full Version : filtering issue

steve J
03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
I have a 2x3 evaporator and I have to finish my syrup useing a turkey frier here is my issue. My son is getting married in July and he wanted me to do 114 heart shape bottles up for him I think they hold about 1.75 oz. I filter before I put sap in pre heater I filter as I draw it off into a holding container and then I filter it again before dumping holding container into large pot to be finish on turkey frier burner. Lastly I filter using paper filter and wool cone filter once syrup is done just prior to bottleing. I have a electric 72 cup perk that heats syrup to 184 degrees that use for bottling. This perk has never perked anything but syrup. With all this filtering I am still getting a small cloud at bottom of syrup jars after they have set for 24 hours. What am I doing wrong?

Dave Y
03-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Not using a filter press. If you want to bottle in glass you should use a filter press. If you are gravity filtering use synthetic pre-filters on top of your wool filter. They help a lot

Russell Lampron
03-27-2007, 11:54 AM
You are doing everything right. To get syrup clean enough so that there isn't any sediment you need a filter press.

Russ

Jim Brown
03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Stev: The two post before this one are correct. I used a felt and pre filters for a couple of years. Syrup looked great when in went into the bottles or jars.About a month later we pulled some out of the cupboard and there was1/2 inch of sugar sand in the bottom. We bought a new filter press from Bill Mason this year. thanks goodness we did with the niter problems this year
Go to a local producer who has one and ask him if he will filter it for you. They should not charge you that much if they are not too busy
Just a thought
Jim

steve J
03-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh do I dare ask how much a filter press is????

RileySugarbush
03-27-2007, 01:01 PM
I've been using cone filters and pre filters for years with good results. Timing is everything. In my old batch process, I'd filter right off the fire, bring it to the kitchen to finish and filter into the canning pot and bottle right then, never heating it again. The sugar sand got worse if I reheated to bottle.

This year we are filtering right out of the syrup pan into the bottling pan and bottling without additional heat. Good results so far.

We use 3 pre filters in one cone filter, and remove the inner one when it gets clogged so the filtering goes quickly.

Gary in NH
03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I have been getting very clear syrup with a gravity feed synthetic cone filter with a synthetic pre-filter inside. I also filter once through synthetic filter paper before bringing it inside and finishing on the stove. I think pre-wetting the filters also helps although it does dilute the syrup a little. I go a little past 66% to account for the dilution. I take it off the stove and immediately pour it into the filter. I have done around 40 of the glass maple leaf bottles this year and SO FAR all look good and clear with nothing settling out. I would like a filter press but I don't produce enough syrup to justify it.

mountainvan
03-27-2007, 06:50 PM
I use filter aid with my flat felts, mix it with the first draw, and get clear syrup and 20-30gals bottled with two prefilters and one orlon.

JohnM
03-27-2007, 09:22 PM
I finish my syrup then put it in a food grade bucket for about a week to settle. Pour off the clear, warm to 180 degrees, can from coffeemaker to hot mason jars. Filter setup is wool cone inside one paper cone then 3 or more paper cones on top of the wool. I pull and wash the paper filters as needed. Nothing floating that I can see.

scw
03-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Two prefilters and a wool filter helps a lot. I also run the concentrate through a pre-filter when I draw off, before finishing it off on the turkey fryer. Glass is tough though. I like it because it keeps longer, but clarity is the key.

brookledge
03-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Steve
Just another thought, hold the cone filter up to the light you may have a thin spot that will be noticible when held up to the light. If this is the case get a new cone filter and try it again. And also when you are using a cone filter do not disturb it or try to get more through it then will go through on its own.
I built my own filter press many years ago for alot less than buying one. A 7" press will filter 50 to 60 gallons and in my case I was only looking to filter 15-20 gallons at a time. So I bought the parts and it looks just like a commercial one.
Keith

rschoo
03-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I had the same problem last year until I started using filter aid. I filter when I draw off the evaporator through 3 prefilters. Then into the turkey frier to finish. After it's syrup and the burner is off I toss a small handful (1/4 cup or so) into the gallon or so syrup in the turkey friar stir it really well then pour it into my canner through a felt filter with 2 prefilters inside it. I haven't had a problem since.

Oaknut
03-30-2007, 12:25 AM
I run it through one prefilter when I draw off the evaporator and then a prefilter and synthetic cone when it comes out of the finishing pan. I put everything in glass and have never had anything floating or settling out.

steve J
07-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Well here I am a week away from the wedding and after re bottling about 100 of these glass hearts back in Early April approximently 1/2 are now showing signs of sugar sand on bottom. I would like for them to be perfect so I am thinking of buying a gallon of syrup and hope it has no sugar sand in it and bottling the hearts. My assumption is these hearts would be used relativly soon do I need to heat the syrup back to 180 or will it be ok since they will not be stored for a long period of time?

maple flats
07-15-2007, 07:12 PM
I would not bottle it without bringing it up to 180+ Many people save wedding favors as a keepsake and use them much later.
Dave

brookledge
07-17-2007, 05:14 AM
I agre with Dave, you should reheat. Try to maintain 185 in your canner. Don't go over 190-195 because it will release more nitre and it will settle out in the bottom. But the main reason I would do it is that alot of people save wedding favors.
Or the other option you have is to tell them that it is not sealed and needs to be used or refrigerated right away. If you do reseal you need to use new caps.
Good Luck !!!
Keith

3% Solution
07-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Steve J.,
Yup you do want them perfect, that little heart is an excellent way to advertise (I know that's not your intention, but) and you don't want to give something that doesn't look appealing.
We do some glass and as you said 1/2 of it has crap floating in it (don't like it either) and does settle out.
Do as everyone has said "Heat it up so it will seal" don't go with your assumption, because when you assume, you make an *** out of you and me.
Remember peoples health is more important than your inconvenience!!
Your syrup should be pretty much settled out by now, use yours, don't buy any. Just keep the temp under 190 and go for it.
Do a few and see what happens, then do the rest.
A friend of mine did the hearts for his wedding this Spring, what a neat idea.
Keep us posted!!!
Is it your wedding?

Dave

steve J
07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
No its my sons wedding and he did not tell me there was an issue with the hearts till a week or so ago. I had refiltered and bottle them once back in early april and ever since they have been in his possesion. But I wen tup to camp and got my canner and will reheat and bottle them again tonight useing new corks. I am also the largest florist in Vermont so we will be putting on a big show with the flowers,

3% Solution
07-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Steve J.,
Tell the boy and bride to be ..."CONGRATS".
Just think next week at this time it'll be all over and all the worrying will have been for not.
Let us know how everthing turns out, the wedding, the flowers, oh yeah of course the syrup.
Just have a good time and enjoy!!
Stay safe!!!!

Dave