PDA

View Full Version : Can I freeze sap for as long as i want?

nick271717
01-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Hello guys ive posted a couple threads lately because I am new to the tapping game and you probably read about me over-boiling and burning my maple syrup but i went out after that and got a digital thermometer like some of you suggested and i made about a cup of really good syrup! (I was only tapping one tree) But anyways i was wondering if I could throw all the sap that i am getting now into my chest freezer as long as i want to until the final big boil that i will do in march? As long as i keep it frozen solid in sanitized containers it doesn't go bad right? Thanks!

hansel
01-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Sure. And if you are small scale and most concerned with having enough time to boil you can use freeze concentration to increase the sugar percentage in your sap. If you let the 5 gallon block melt, discard block after 1/3 has melted. You can refreeze the melted portion. Then let that melt and discard block when half has melted. You'd now have 5/6 of a gallon with about 90% of original sugar.

nick271717
01-19-2017, 02:09 PM
Sure. And if you are small scale and most concerned with having enough time to boil you can use freeze concentration to increase the sugar percentage in your sap. If you let the 5 gallon block melt, discard block after 1/3 has melted. You can refreeze the melted portion. Then let that melt and discard block when half has melted. You'd now have 5/6 of a gallon with about 90% of original sugar.

Thanks for the advice i've been reading about the ice concentration method lately and i might do it...have you ever tried it? Does it work pretty good?...Seems like a good way to reduce boil time!

woodey24
01-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Wish we would have known that last year.... we were beating the sides of buckets to get all the ice in the evap...lol