PDA

View Full Version : Draining 3/16 Collection Tank

dsaw
01-18-2017, 10:10 PM
I've only used buckets in the past, so new to tubing. Installing 3/16 on some of my taps this year (25 rigged up so far, but not tapped). I'm planning to have a 55 gal drum at the end of each drop. So how do I drain the drum? If I put a port on the bottom, and camlock a hose to it, but wrap it back into the barrel, will it break if it freezes? Or do I need to have no fittings and plan to suck out each barrel with a 12v pump?

Bucket Head
01-18-2017, 10:22 PM
The hose/fittings might not break, but it's going to freeze sooner or later, and repeatedly. I would not do the hose like that. Maybe with a valve at the bottom of the barrel with a cam lock so you can connect/disconnect and drain the hose, but I wouldn't trust the valve to not freeze either. And frozen valves or hoses are not fun.
I suck my barrels out with a pump. It will be trouble free doing it that way.
Steve

Super Sapper
01-19-2017, 05:59 AM
You could always use a marine bilge pump.

SognSyrup
01-19-2017, 07:57 AM
We've also used a gas powered water pump.

eustis22
01-19-2017, 09:12 AM
I have two 55 gallon barrels at the ends of my run and I drain them this way: I added brass faucet fittings to the bung hole cap on the bottom and will run a short hose from there to an AC pump and from there into a barrel in my truck for hauling up the hill...then I will pump from my truck to my holding tank 150' away.

dsaw
01-21-2017, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll do the pump out method. So do you use a self priming pump, or will the much cheaper non-self priming ones work for the short distance it has to suck over the lip of the drum? I'm looking at the $160 Harbor Freight gas powered one (or a similar one at Menards), vs. the Honda for $400 that is listed as self priming.

Super Sapper
01-22-2017, 05:21 AM
The self priming pumps still need the pump housing to be filled with sap before pumping or you will burn up the seal. You only need to do this when you start, it will be good until you drain it whe done. If you do not drain when done it can freeze and break the pump.

DocsMapleSyrup
01-22-2017, 06:29 AM
Boat bilge pump will pump much faster.

MISugarDaddy
01-22-2017, 05:40 PM
We have a one inch Harbor Freight pump as a back up pump and it works fine, especially if you change the spark plug to an NGK.
Gary

SognSyrup
01-23-2017, 09:15 AM
We use a gas powered pump. Works great. Pumped some slightly uphill 600' last year.

Daveg
01-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll do the pump out method. So do you use a self priming pump, or will the much cheaper non-self priming ones work for the short distance it has to suck over the lip of the drum? I'm looking at the $160 Harbor Freight gas powered one (or a similar one at Menards), vs. the Honda for $400 that is listed as self priming.
A pump is a good route to go. I've got a Harbor Freight Pacific HydroStar and it will empty a 55 gallon drum in about 90 seconds. If you had any sap in the "valve version" and they froze, they will break whether it's stainless, plastic, brass, copper SNAP! Make sure you keep your pump from freezing, too.