PDA

View Full Version : Warm in WI

Maple Man 85
01-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Some of the larger producer with tubing and vacuum start tapping early and was wondering if anyone is taking advantage on the way above average temperatures in WI?

littleTapper
01-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Using the warm weather to get my tubing up - first year with a Shurflo setup :) I'm down in the SE corner of the state, so it won't be that long until I can tap. I have only until 3/24 for my season (family vacation) so mid-Feb is likely for me. Who knows what the weather will do though; screwy winter here. Our current warm-up forecast stays above freezing at night, so there's definitely no rush to tap. It'll cool down again.

gatzow
01-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Looking at forecast, you might be able to get 5-7 days in in south Wisconsin. I was tempted to try, but then Id probably have to clean up everything before the next run in 6-10 weeks. Just doesn't seem worth all the work of clean up for a possible few days. But on the other hand, I have a new evaporator and a new sugar shack that I really want to put into action!!!

Chemist
01-22-2017, 08:06 PM
I tapped four trees today and will watch then for the next week to see what happens. Two of the four dripped right away.

Boycedemery
02-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Due to these upcoming warm spells I was wondering that if i risk it now and tap but then my holes go dry can I just re drill in a different area on the tree to get an extended season? Thanks

gatzow
02-16-2017, 05:34 PM
NO Not something that you want to do - at least that is what I have read on other threads on this site.

Due to these upcoming warm spells I was wondering that if i risk it now and tap but then my holes go dry can I just re drill in a different area on the tree to get an extended season? Thanks

Maple Man 85
02-16-2017, 05:34 PM
If air is reaching the tap hole from traditional methods of collection like buckets and bags I'd hold off till March but if you have tubing I'd tap.