PDA

View Full Version : Stove Pipe Stability Without Support?

Manatawny
01-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Last year, I used the openings already in cinder blocks as the stack on my 1 pan block arch. This year, I'm building a 6 pan arch and installing an 8" stove pipe.

I read that I need the stack to be 2x the length of my pans. But, that's about 13 feet.

The problem is that I built my arch out in the open. I can't think of a good way to support this pipe, sticking up in the air. There aren't even trees very close which I could wire it to.

I toyed with building a block chimney structure around it, going up part way... but a narrow stack of dry-laid block going up too high doesn't seem safe with my little kids running around.

I toyed with wiring it down to the pegs in the ground, somehow... but that doesn't make for a very good work area.

Ideas? Suggestions? Any remotely pertinent thoughts at all?

psparr
01-17-2017, 09:13 AM
You could take a piece of EMT (metal pipe) and drive that into the ground parallel to the stack, and wire it to it. I use 2 sections of 5'x8" heating duct which just slips over about 5" of pipe on the evaporator without any support, and it hasn't fallen yet.

sap retreiver
01-17-2017, 09:51 AM
I've used 3/4" rebar before and sign post works pretty good to

Big_Eddy
01-17-2017, 01:10 PM
3 Cinder blocks.
45' of reflective / hi-vis / flourescent rope.
15' of strong wire.

Drill 3 holes equally spaced around the top of the stack.
Tie a 5' section of wire through each hole and make a loop at the other end of each.
Tie a 15' section of rope from each loop to a cinder block.
Stand up the pipe and distribute the cinder blocks evenly around the base so the ropes are tight. It's easy enough to adjust or move them as needed.
Your stack will stand up to hurricane winds this way.

TIE FLAGGING to the ropes, or place obstacles in the way underneath them, so you don't walk into them and pull the whole thing down. (Learn from my mistakes!!!!)

grizzlym
01-18-2017, 11:16 AM
I used two of those green "U" shaped metal stakes for fences. Cut the end off one, drilled holes and then bolted them together after I drove one in the ground. Wired 9 feet of 6" stack to it. The "U" shape seemed to help support it pretty well. Survived 40+ mile an hour winds. When the season was over pulled the stake and stored it with the pipe. Fast and easy.