PDA

View Full Version : pan thermometer

tcross
01-16-2017, 09:28 AM
what do you guys use for a thermometer in your finish pan? I used to use the long wooden handle, old, leader one. which worked great up until I opened the box I keep it in yesterday to find it broken. I'd love to find one like it. I can't use the thermometer port in my finish pan due to my cobbled together home made arch set up. I've used digital ones before only to find them failing before the season ends!

Sugarmaker
01-16-2017, 09:36 AM
A digital one in tenths is the best. Then calibrate it in boiling water and record the temp on the thermometer that water boils. Add 7.1 to that number.
Better buy two.
Regards,
Chris

nymapleguy607
01-16-2017, 09:55 AM
I agree with Sugarmaker, A digital is best if you can swing it. Marcland has the digital type with the probe fairly reasonable. The other thing I would recommend having is a digital barometer so you know what the boiling temp is each day you boil, or if it changes while you are boiling.

SeanD
01-17-2017, 08:43 PM
I love my ChefAlarm from Thermoworks. It has both high and low temp alarms which are great for starting and ending draws.

http://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm?gclid=Cj0KEQiAnvfDBRCXrabLl6-6t-0BEiQAW4SRUOlzwS3UJqRoNxscSzkpO3Vr4vkO7kMS6ULtVw7E RyAaAtNT8P8HAQ

Sean

tcross
01-18-2017, 06:01 AM
SeanD, how long have you used the thermoworks ChefAlarm for? I've used a similar Taylor Thermometer and each year the prob ****s out on me. they're cheap enough, but sort of a pain in the butt. seems the steam shorts the prob out and causes failure?

SeanD
01-18-2017, 07:06 PM
SeanD, how long have you used the thermoworks ChefAlarm for? I've used a similar Taylor Thermometer and each year the prob ****s out on me. they're cheap enough, but sort of a pain in the butt. seems the steam shorts the prob out and causes failure?

Yup, I used the Taylors for years following the same logic. They were cheap enough that it wasn't the end of the world when one went. I always bought them in pairs. Yes, it's the probe not the unit itself, curiously. I also liked the convenience of being able to set the alarm for whatever temp I wanted.

So far, I've only used the ChefAlarm for a year, so it's still within the average life of one of my Taylors. If I get through this season with it, then it will surpass my longest lived Taylor. The probe wire is stainless steel and it has a rubber or silicone boot where the probe meets the stainless wire. It seems like it's built to last.