PDA

View Full Version : Taps Pulled - We are done!

SapSipper
03-26-2007, 03:42 PM
It was a good year -

Pulled our taps yesterday, SAP in buckets was turning yellow - and the syrup being produced was almost black! (but very tasty)

MaplePancakeMan
03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
i don't know where your location is in CT but i'm just over the border in NY by the north west corner of CT i would not pull the taps, its gonna be bad for the next week just wash the buckets and set them out again in a week should get atleast one more week begining of april for sap, leave one bucket out as a barometer as to when to set the buckets out again. Thats what i'm doing, gonna get the buckets real clean and set them out for one more run.

dhbiker1
03-27-2007, 09:40 AM
sapsipper - how many gallons of syrup did you get? Last friday I made over a gallon of real dark and then yesterday just over a quart that was quite a bit lighter. So far about 2.75 gallons total. A bit less then expected but not bad. I'll wait a couple weeks before taking it all down though. After boiling for about 10 hours to make one gallon I've decided i need to find a better evaporator for next season.

mapleman3
03-27-2007, 07:44 PM
"I've decided i need to find a better evaporator for next season."

DH Thats what we all said :) :)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-27-2007, 08:25 PM
And Sir, why might you need a better evaporator????????

ebourassa
03-27-2007, 08:28 PM
well to my amazment the trees actually were running today picked up 133 gals and made about 3 gals of Grade B. sugar content was around 2. may get another run later this week with a low temp tom. night in the mid 20's. it was 68 today. I am going hold out for a little longer, clean the tanks again this weekend and hope for another run, up to 37 gals now, need to make more though, just ordered a hood an preheater for next season, cant wait for that.

scw
03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Ran today here, but I tossed it as it looks like it will be junk. Got some medium/dark amber from yesterday's run. But looks like I am all done now. Clean up time now.

SUGARSMITH
03-29-2007, 07:54 AM
I made another 10 gallons last night and ran out of all sap. I am done this year. Made about half as normal. Time for cleanup and see what next year brings.