PDA

View Full Version : Replacing 3/16 Drop Line

rfogg
01-13-2017, 11:38 AM
This is my first year installing 3/16 tubing. I have about 50' of drop over 200'. I have read that you should replace the tap and drop tube every year. So my question is how do you remove the drop tube from the tee without messing up the tee.
Thanks for any help
Bob

DrTimPerkins
01-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Hi Bob,

You needn't change the dropline every year. Typically every 3 yrs is sufficient, however you should use new plastic spouts each year. Alternatively you can use CV spouts and not replace drops until the tubing reaches the end of its lifespan (5-10 yrs depending upon the tubing).

Most people replace the tee when they replace the drop. It is very difficult to NOT make microleaks when trying to remove the tee, so the simplest way is to cut the lateral line on either side of the tee, and put in a new drop including the tee. Since a 3/16" tubing on a slope IS a vacuum system, you need to be very careful not to introduce leaks into the system. A tight (leak-free) system is key to any vacuum tubing installation.

Bricklayer
01-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Saw at CDL yesterday that they have stainless tubing spouts. Do they need to be replaced every year? Sorry for hijacking the thread but it somewhat relates to the original question.

rfogg
01-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Thanks Dr. Perkins for the quick answer. No problem Bricklayer I got my answer and I'm happy.

Bricklayer
01-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Did a little more digging and found my question answered. I'm going to stick with the white CDL taps. $0.19 each. Didn't have one leak at the tap with them last year brand new. I will replace all this year with new ones.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?24600-Stainless-steel-vs-plastic-health-tubing-spouts&highlight=Stainless+spouts

one more
01-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Why do the taps need to be replaced each year? Sanitary reasons? Do they clog up? I was going to reuse mine from last year, but if they won't function properly I'll get an order in for new one's. Thanks in advance.

psparr
01-22-2017, 09:55 AM
They get bacteria that can't be removed and in turn reduces your sap yield. It is more cost effective to replace them.

one more
01-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Thanks. I know bacteria is a key component in flavor and color, but did not realize it would reduce the flow of sap from a tree. Thanks again.

peteinvermont
01-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Thanks. I know bacteria is a key component in flavor and color, but did not realize it would reduce the flow of sap from a tree. Thanks again.

I had the same thoughts on it that you have until recently. I had no idea how much affect on Sap flow bacterial growth had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk