PDA

View Full Version : Macaroni and cheese and syrup anyone?

madmapler
01-10-2017, 12:39 PM
My wife and I like to experiment with syrup in different things and one that I do all the time is adding a little syrup to my boxed Mac and cheese. It's good on baked mac and cheese as well but don't over do it. Anybody else got any crazy things they do with syrup? Keeping with food of course.

morningstarfarm
01-10-2017, 02:37 PM
While im not a big fan of the mac and cheese thing...i use a small drizzle on pizza...also use a bit in spagetti sauce

Maple Hill
01-10-2017, 04:29 PM
Also good on scrambled eggs.

timmie
01-23-2017, 12:33 AM
I love it with pancakes and waffles.

Zucker Lager
01-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Drizzled on thick Greek yogurt its great Jay

littleTapper
01-23-2017, 12:36 PM
Yes, on greek yogurt - with some sliced almonds and dried blueberries!

I take a burger, add bacon and then slobber on some maple cream. Love it!

I've posted it elsewhere, but make eggnog with maple syrup instead of white sugar. Way better way to make it.

KV Sappers
01-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Bowl of blueberries, sliced strawberries and apples, pieces of dark chocolate topped with maple syrup.

littleTapper
03-07-2017, 01:25 PM
I need to reply to this thread...forgot all about the opening post mentioning mac-n-cheese, but yes, it's freaking awesome! I tried some on mine last night and I suggest everyone do it. My son had to try it too and he agreed!

A friend of mine says that's too far with maple syrup. He's clearly wrong.

Trapper2
03-07-2017, 01:41 PM
My favorite is on Vanilla ice cream. But I
Scorched a gallon years ago, it was very smoky. I mixed 1 cup syrup along with my original venison jerky seasonings and it turned out AMAZING! Almost like honeybarbecue but better.

Cedar Eater
03-08-2017, 07:24 PM
We sometimes make gourmet apple sauces and one of the favorites is tart apple sauce + maple syrup + dried currants.

Cody
03-09-2017, 05:49 AM
Use it on all breakfast cereals to replace sugar.Great with Cheerio's ,Raisin Bran and Quaker Oats.Brush on chicken when grilling and pork chops.

Galena
03-09-2017, 06:30 AM
My favorite is on Vanilla ice cream. But I
Scorched a gallon years ago, it was very smoky. I mixed 1 cup syrup along with my original venison jerky seasonings and it turned out AMAZING! Almost like honeybarbecue but better.

Oh man that sounds amazing! Should try scorching some syrup :-)

Islander
03-21-2017, 11:11 AM
I like a dab of syrup on Lorraine quiche.

I have been experimenting recently and like to use it as a replacement to sugar in vinaigrette.

The house favorite this week is home cut french fries. Wisk together vegetable oil, syrup and coarse Kosher salt, coat fresh cut raw fries and bake on parchment paper at about 400 until the syrup just starts to caramelize - about 30-40 minutes.

johnallin
03-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Yep, it's really good on mac and cheese - ask the grand kids. Also amazing on smoked sausage, Yorkshire pudding and Eggos...

mspina14
03-21-2017, 10:08 PM
Heat some Grape Nuts cereal in a microwave for 45 seconds with some milk.

Drizzle with Maple syrup.

I have it every morning for breakfast!

Mark

West Sumner Sugar
03-22-2017, 08:32 PM
We usually have a box of plain donuts in the sugar house and we have been known to pass them under the autodraw valve when pulling. Hot fresh syrup on them...good snack while boiling.

wlatrout
03-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Put it on my oatmeal every morning. Also cottage cheese and Butterpecan icecream.Going to have to try the Mac an cheese thing.

madmapler
03-23-2017, 02:01 PM
. Also cottage cheese. Interesting....veeeeery interesting

saphound
03-24-2017, 05:25 AM
Tried this last night. Cut up and boil some carrots until just softened. Drain and add a pat or two of butter, drizzle on some syrup and a light sprinkle of brown sugar. Stir them up to coat it all and serve as a quick easy side dish. Got gobbled up fast...will have to make more next time.

saphound
03-25-2017, 08:42 AM
Ran across this today...65 unexpected ways to use maple syrup. Gonna have to try the chicken wings with spicy chili sauce, among others. Enjoy.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/recipes/65-unexpected-ways-to-use-maple-syrup/ss-AAnGYpl?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=spartanntp#image=12

CampHamp
03-25-2017, 11:35 PM
Hot Dog Upgrade: Drained sauerkraut, stirred in maple over kielbasa with melted cheese on bread.

3GoatHill
03-26-2017, 07:51 PM
I got a jar of salsa one time that was way too hot. Add some maple syrup and it's perfect!!

jimschulthess
03-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Barbecue sauce, instead of brown sugar use maple syrup. Baked beans.

Galena
03-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Ran across this today...65 unexpected ways to use maple syrup. Gonna have to try the chicken wings with spicy chili sauce, among others. Enjoy.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/recipes/65-unexpected-ways-to-use-maple-syrup/ss-AAnGYpl?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=spartanntp#image=12

Cool! Thanks saphound!

saphound
03-29-2017, 05:41 PM
You're most welcome, Galena. A lot of them are dessert type recipes, which I seldom get into because I stuff myself so bad at dinner I don't leave any room for dessert.. but some of them look awfully good! I'm thinking the Maple Pecan sweet potatoes could be a big hit at Thanksgiving (#40) and the Maple Balsamic Glazed Pork Medallions(#59) are lookin pretty good to me too! :cool:

littleTapper
04-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Barbecue sauce, instead of brown sugar use maple syrup. Baked beans.
I had a good dark batch of box elder syrup this year. Made some BBQ sauce with it and it's fantastic. Done the same with maple syrup too. I don't buy BBQ sauce from the store at all now.

BCPP
04-01-2017, 08:30 AM
One of my favourite desserts is grandpere's. Take a cup of syrup, add cup of water, bring to a boil and spoon in dumplings (Bisquick with milk works), cover and let cook for 20 minutes. No peeking or dumplings will not rise properly! Delicious but sticky!

littleTapper
04-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Small experiment tonight. I make my own taco seasoning (I don't buy the premade pouches of salt) and added some syrup to the pan with it for our chicken tacos. It was a hit. Goes well with the chilli powder, cayenne, and paprika in the seasoning. Will make maple syrup a standard taco ingredient now!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CBOYER
04-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Best sauce for a chicken Burger: Mayonaise, Sriracha and Maple syrup...:cool:

WillSeibert
04-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Eric (Tuckermtn) and his wife served these at their 2016 maple weekend - maple cream spread on squares of sharp cheddar cheese. Big hit, and good for maple cream sales. Deeeelicious hors d'ovures.

I put maple on vanilla ice cream for dessert. I also put it on greek yogurt, and dip maple chicken sausage in some extra dark. Great breakfast.

Will

billandale
04-27-2017, 04:20 AM
Macaroni, cheese, and syrup sound interesting, though I haven't tried it before.