PDA

View Full Version : Extra piece?

ecolbeck
01-09-2017, 07:08 PM
My CDL 18x48 drop flue evaporator has an extra iron spacer which rests on the rails between the pan and the flue. See picture. Does it serve a purpose? Wondering if I could replace it with a preheater pan similar to how WF Mason makes the XL units

Maple Man 85
01-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Looks like just a piece of flat steel, measure the dimensions and go to your local steel place, they are likely cheaper than ordering through a maple equipment manufacturer.

Drew Pond Maple
01-09-2017, 07:51 PM
I have the same the same evaporator. It is just a spacer that can be placed either in front or behind the pan. It's all preference on where you put it. Boil rate seems a little better with the spacer in front, but the sap burns on the back of the pan near the base stack

TYSC
01-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Ironically, I had a discussion with a CDL rep yesterday about the design of my homebuilt arch i am currently building, and as he was showing me a few things about a CDL branded arch he was using to demonstrate, he mentioned that that spacer is meant to keep your pan away from the stack.

Haynes Forest Products
01-13-2017, 07:56 AM
ecolbeck Its your space on your arch you can anything you want. You might make it a tall pan so you can then gravity feed to the flue pan. Does make a nice place to warm up a good homemade Pastie :)

jmayerl
01-13-2017, 08:57 AM
20 years ago I worked at a Bombardier dealer as a salesman, when we got super busy in the winter I would spin wrenches to help keep things moving. I rebuild a skidoo engine that had burned a piston and when I was done I had a small pile of extra bolts and parts......boss asked if it ran good and snickered as I shrugged my shoulders and said "good enough". Turns out they like to put extra parts on the counter to keep us thinking....
Moral of the story....extra parts aren't always bad.

RileySugarbush
01-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Pasties! I just visited my Mom's cousin in Tywardreath, Cornwall and she made me an authentic Cornish pasty.