PDA

View Full Version : Best nozzle pattern for oil burner

jscheib
01-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Any opinions on what the best pattern is for a oil burner? Is one type of nozzle more efficient or does one nozzle boil quicker?

morningstarfarm
01-10-2017, 02:36 PM
It depends on the size of your rig..and combustion chamber size

Haynes Forest Products
01-10-2017, 03:28 PM
You need to calculate the BTU's needed and what your gun will produce. There are different patterns that a nozzle can create so decide what is better for your arch and combustion chamber size. Spraying a bunch of oil down the arch wont be economical and might give you hot spots or to much boil at the flue pan and not much at the finish pans.

mellondome
01-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Welcome back haynes...
Sapaholic

jscheib
01-11-2017, 07:52 AM
It is a 3'X8' with a firebox that is approximately 3'X3' where the gun is mounted about directly in the middle. 3'X2' syrup pans and 3'X6' flue pan. hopefully this helps. I currently have a 5.5GPH solid, but after last year I noticed some soot in the firebox on my ceramic blanket and had two hot spots in the upper corner in front of oil gun. Any help is appreciated!

Haynes Forest Products
01-11-2017, 09:25 AM
I have a 3x10 and run 6.5. I don't know it its the best nozzle size or configuration but the pans rip and roar so ill stick with it. When you say hot spots are you melting the insulation? I use fire blanket and it holds up well so I can see that some areas are cleaner than others with soot in corners. I have filled them in with scrap blanket to force the heat up to the pans.

I have a problem knowing what is the best combination because its a pain to swap the nozzle out when I'm cooking 18% and I don't want #2 diesel on my hands and clothes. Every time I make a simple change im not sure if its to the better so Im going to let it be. I know that I cant run my gun on high fire because the finish pans will go wild and scorch.

wiam
01-11-2017, 09:29 AM
I found that hollows work better in mine. Wide pattern I can't remember degrees. I believe soot is from not enough air. I was having trouble getting front corners to boil and ended up upsizing nozzle and lowering pressure. Works great now.

Haynes Forest Products
01-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Boiling concentrate is definitely is a determining factor in the type of pattern you want. By the time the liquid/sweet leaves the flue pan into the first finish pan on my rig its 10-12 points away from finished syrup. I need more heat down range under the flue pan and less under the finish pans because my finished syrup boils so hard that it foams up and wont flow thru the channels and out the auto draw off quick enough. Just something to consider.

jscheib
01-11-2017, 10:58 AM
It is funny you mention that I have the same issue. How did you fix it and what pattern are you using on your burner?