PDA

View Full Version : Done in CNY

Tube-tamer II
03-25-2007, 03:53 PM
We pulled the taps today. Only made 27 gallons. 7 less than last year. Sap coming in very cloudy. We cannot afford the time to make grade B or less. Now the cleanup starts. Is hardly worth the effort for this little syrup. Very disappointing season.

325abn
03-25-2007, 06:15 PM
I hope that I make 27 this year.

I have had folks ask if it was worth it. My answer is "what else would I do this time of year?"

Fred Henderson
03-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Exactly t he same answer I would give. I am retired and got a lot of time on my hands.

MaplePancakeMan
03-26-2007, 12:08 AM
I've pulled my buckets out and washed them, i haven't pulled the taps and i wont because we are going to get a cold snap 1st week of april, while i know this will be my last run most likely because where i am, it gets warm quck in april but i should get 3-4 days of good sap run, it will be darker but it should be good enough for table grade syrup just darker but not B. I was my buckets because as the days get warmer the more chance you get mold with build up thats caused from build up in the buckets, April 1st is the day i will reset the buckets.April 9th i will probably pull everything as my holes will most likely dry up after that

sapman
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm still hoping for more decent runs! Only about halfway to my goal, and the temps are looking better in the next few days, then much colder in a week and a half or so. Now if we can just get through all the warm days and nights unscathed.

Tim

blackstrapking
03-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Im gonna hold out a bit here, Made 47 gallons so far, still have some ambition lots of wood left, mise well keep at it.

danno
03-27-2007, 11:17 PM
I just looked at the NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 day forecasts. (http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day)

If there right, I'm gonna run out of wood. Well below temps expected 4/2-4/10 with much storminess and even snow. Tough week here with cloudy, slow sap, but things looks like they could improve. Checked my maple buds today and they are not even close.

Bottled some dark tonight, flavor still excellent.

maple flats
03-29-2007, 07:37 PM
My sap ran some today. I haven't gotten enough yet but if the 15 day Accuweather was right that I looked at last nite, I will get sap for about 12 of the next 15 days. This would then make my year the best total ever and I could use that. The buds have not even started to swell much yet on the few Reds and 2 silvers I tap and on the sugars I see no swelling yet. In fact my woods sugars have barely run yet. The woods seem to stay 4-8 degrees cooler than the more open woods or roadside and I have no cloudy sap even on 2 day old sap yet. I have only gotten 35 gal so far on 425 taps, all gravity but 10 or 12 more days of sap flow should get me triple that, I have only had 3 days of good flow and 4 days of light flow this season. I am looking to end with 100+ gal, maybe even 125 gal if the sugar gods are smiling on me. My best per tap was in 04 when I made 32 gal on 115 taps gravity.

danno
03-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Taps are slowing down, now I wish I waited until March to tap. Although I guess I'd rather have clear sap early, than cloudy sap late. Either way the sugar content stinks. Should have been great sap weather with nights in the mid 20, days in the high 40's/low 50's last couple days. Still doing between a quart and a half gallon of sap per tap/per day. Thank goodness for vacuum. Was hoping the sap would clear with the cold nights, but still cloudy.

Flavor is still real good and no tree budding. Don't know if we can make it until the big cool down coming middle of the week. Should buy the guys up north a couple of extra weeks.

danno
04-01-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm making dark syrup, I stink like smoke because I'm pushing my ancient non-air tight 30x8 to the hilt with lots of forced air and I'm just about out of wood, but I don't want it to end! But taps are drying out in a hurry now. Cooked down another 200 gallons today and made 5 more gallons of dark - but that may be it.

I'll leave the taps in to see if this cold snap does anything for us.

Vacuum happened in 07, bigger, better evaporator in 08 (and ofcourse, more taps!)

paradisegrounds
03-13-2010, 08:38 PM
what brand tracks do you have?, any problems with them ? I have the mattracks on a rtv 900 new this year not totally sold yet on reliability.Did it slow your machine way down?