PDA

View Full Version : Moisture trap for air line to Lunchbox Vacuum/Releaser

bagpiper
01-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Hi Folks,

I purchased a Lunchbox Vacuum/Releaser from Dean at Northwoods Sugar Works. He recommends setting up a moisture trap between the compressor and the pump. I have about a 300 foot run between the compressor, which will be in my garage, and the Lunchbox at the bottom of the slope. Anyone have a recommendation for a moisture trap? I have no idea of the amount of water that would build up and be captured, so don't know what size unit I would need. There are many on Amazon that are used mostly in paint spray gun applications. Would one of these work?

Bricklayer
01-07-2017, 08:04 PM
I use the lunchbox, I never noticed any moisture in the supply line last year. You could easily build a moisture trap ive seen them built before. I didn't bother. My air compressor is in my unheated garage and is basically the same temp as outside. So I figured there wouldn't be much condensation in the lines. If it ever froze and cracked your compressor would be screaming in the garage.

Acer
01-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Hi Guys,
I am in the position of having to recommend a moisture trap for all because I can't predict whose system will make water.
I don't run a trap and have never seen a drop in my air line, but have had guys overflow a moisture trap in short order.
Never made sense of it.
Putting your compressor outside will help with reducing moisture.
Bleeding tank daily will too.
Keeping up on leaks helps too.

In the end a trap is cheap insurance, water in the air side of that pump is hard on it.

Let me know what works for you.

Thanks,
Dean

Bricklayer
01-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Better to be safe then sorry for sure.
I think mine stays dry because it's so long. 1000' snaking all over the place. And my compressor is under a leanto on the garage so it's pretty much outside.
Gonna look into building a moisture trap this year though just to make sure

whity
01-21-2017, 05:35 AM
Compressed air is warm, even if you compressor is outside. The moving parts generate friction. Thats why you get moisture in the air. A moisture trap is cheap insurance. On average I would put one for every 20 ft of air line between the compressor and releaser. If your less then 20' I would only put one at the tank.

Acer
01-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Compressed air is warm, even if you compressor is outside. The moving parts generate friction. Thats why you get moisture in the air. A moisture trap is cheap insurance. On average I would put one for every 20 ft of air line between the compressor and releaser. If your less then 20' I would only put one at the tank.

Hi Whity,
Thats a bit of overkill. Quite a few are running air lines over 500' long.
One trap is sufficient.
Dean

whity
01-22-2017, 07:12 AM
Just going off my sand blasting experience. Had to keep the air as dry as possible.

Hi Whity,
Thats a bit of overkill. Quite a few are running air lines over 500' long.
One trap is sufficient.
Dean