PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Arch/Ceramic Board for Evaporator

themoonlighttapper
01-04-2017, 01:28 PM
My dad and I caught the maple bug a couple of years ago and are hooked. This is our third year making maple syrup, but the first year we will have a proper evaporator to boil down our sap. We are now gathering the materials to fire brick our hobby 2x4 evaporator. My question is, how important is it to use arch/ceramic board as insulation in addition to the fire bricks? Does the insulating board provide a substantial increase in insulation which will help us boil at a significantly higher rate?

Also, how important is it to insulate the door (and how would that be done)? Our plan was to only use fire bricks, but after a little online reading I'm not sure if that would be the best course of action or not.

Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

psparr
01-04-2017, 01:49 PM
It will help the boil some, but the biggest advantage is longevity of the arch itself, and being able to stand near it.
As for the door, if it's a cast iron stove door, it isn't necessary. But if it's just a steel door, it will warp.
I put ceramic blanket on mine then covered the insulation with sheet metal to protect it from the wood.

Ed R
01-04-2017, 03:05 PM
There are pros and cons with arch board. I have boiled on both insulated and noninsulated arches and am setting up a arch currently which I will not insulate. The biggest drawback to me is at shutdown, to much heat retention leads to a longer babysit at shutdown and I believe leads to slightly darker syrup. With just brick you have a warmer shack and quicker cool down. Our bigger evaporator is galvanized and non insulated and over 25 years old and still looks great. To me it's just not worth it. You do have to watch little kids in the shack with a noninsulated arch