PDA

View Full Version : Pyromatic Arch Design for review

pyro
01-03-2017, 10:14 PM
After boiling on a cinder block arch for the last two years I've already had enough. I don't have a permanent setup, so I drag the blocks out every year, set them on uneven frozen ground. Its not level and with the ground thawing, I'm constantly battling smoke leakage and discoloring my nice stainless pan. So I started this design last year, and debating whether I build it this year.

For now, I would like general comments, suggestions on the dimensions, sizes, etc. This will be a "portable" unit, so used as a tabletop in the shed in the off season, and dragged outside during the season.

Specific questions I have:
1. What is the smallest dimension I need for the flue pipe plate that connects to the arch. Planning for a 7" flue pipe. Ideally I would like to just use a HVAC register, something like 14" x 3.5" --> 7" round. Therefore this would only need maybe 6" of space on top (I have 12" planned now). I'm debating extending the arch for a possible 2x4 pan upgrade in the future. To fit on my purchased sheet size the flue pipe plate would have to be 8" max. Would 8" work with a HVAC register?

2. Another idea is to build the design as shown, and if I extend to a 2x4 pan, build an extension off the back which is a right angle flue pipe connection. This could be removable for easy storage and reduce its footprint. Any downsides of this? I haven't seen anyone do this (maybe in concrete block arch). Other than the increased complexity of the right angle flue, I think this is my preferred option.

2. I'm planning to reuse an old fireplace grate. I have to measure it, but its probably only 5" high. Leaving about 3" too much space in the ash area.

Any comments welcome.

Design Plans - PDF Link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B122EMldttpXUUNTT0YyMG52ckE/view?usp=sharing)

Zucker Lager
01-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Hey Pyro:
Looks very similar to the one I built. My flue pipe is 6 inches. My loading door is about 15 inches square and the draft door is 6 by 15. The loading door works great no problem loading but the draft door is probably over kill. Just cracked about 3/4 inch open at the bottom I can keep the stack temp over 700. Jay
Pictures here from start to finish: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?26815-2-By-3-Hobby-Arch-Build

pyro
01-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Thx zucker. Ive tried to copy others designs and looked at yours.

I need to decide on my final dimensions. Is there any down side of flue pipe existing off the back with a 90 degree bend? That way I could handle a 4 ft long pan in the future without changing dimensions. Really don't want it longer for storage.

Haynes Forest Products
01-13-2017, 07:49 AM
running the flue stack out the back isnt a problem. Yes any turns and bends can cause slow draw but with a tall stack which you will want to keep the smoke above you will create a nice strong draw. Now a nice wide transition from the width of the arch to the round flue stack is important. You want the heat/gasses to flow under the entire pans all the way past the pan then up and away.

pyro
01-13-2017, 09:40 PM
Is 14 gauge ok for the front panel which will hold the hinges for the door? Also the door will be 14 gauge with ceramic blanket on inside. 14 GA is easy for me to get. Anything else is not convenient.

Also planning 4" clearance on the arch. That's with 2 layers of ceramic blanket. Could take one layer off to make it 5" max. Sound reasonable?

pyro
02-03-2017, 10:17 PM
So I've finally decided to build my arch. I had no welding experience, so wasn't sure how difficult this was going to be. Definitely took more time than expected, but is coming out great. I've posted my updated plans in case it helps anyone in the future.

Pyromatic Arch Plans v2 (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B122EMldttpXWjQzWkVQRnVKSGM)

Here a few build pics. I still need to add the door, flue pipe and ceramic blanket/firebrick the inside. Zucker: I think I'm going to copy the maple leaf idea and paint one on. I hope you don't mind!

Zucker Lager
02-04-2017, 11:28 AM
So I've finally decided to build my arch. I had no welding experience, so wasn't sure how difficult this was going to be. Definitely took more time than expected, but is coming out great. I've posted my updated plans in case it helps anyone in the future.

Pyromatic Arch Plans v2 (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B122EMldttpXWjQzWkVQRnVKSGM)

Here a few build pics. I still need to add the door, flue pipe and ceramic blanket/firebrick the inside. Zucker: I think I'm going to copy the maple leaf idea and paint one on. I hope you don't mind!

Hey Pyro:
Looking good already. One thing about a bad looking weld there is always the grinder I wear out grinder wheels by the dozen ha ha. I got the pattern for the maple leaf off of a picture on the internet then traced it on brass plate and cut with a metal blade in a jig saw and lots of file work. Here is the image Happy sapping Jay