PDA

View Full Version : Test Boil

mspina14
01-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Did my first test boil today with the head tank hooked up to my new 2X4XL Mason evaporator.

Had a few leaks in the plumbing but fixed most with some hose clamps.

Everything went fairly smoothly until I went into the house for lunch. When I came out 15 minute later, the fire had died down a little and the flue pan float box was overflowing onto the floor. It's tricky trying to adjust the float values. But I assume if the water in the float box get's high enough, the float should rise high enough to seal the intake port and prevent an overflow, right? :confused:

Mark

johnpma
01-02-2017, 06:39 PM
I don't have a float box but my buddies set up shuts off supply at a established level based on mechanical adjustment

How many taps will you have this season?

SeanD
01-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Yeah, something is not right there. That gasket should seal up tight to the line coming in. Also, don't walk away from your evaporator until you really have everything down. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find the right times to run to the bathroom.

mspina14
01-02-2017, 07:22 PM
I don't have a float box but my buddies set up shuts off supply at a established level based on mechanical adjustment

How many taps will you have this season?

Hoping to have about 100 taps. 80 on tubing with a diaphragm pump and 20 or so buckets.

mspina14
01-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Yeah, something is not right there. That gasket should seal up tight to the line coming in. Also, don't walk away from your evaporator until you really have everything down. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find the right times to run to the bathroom.

Thanks. I need to find someone that can show me how to adjust that flue plan float box. The float has a vertical rod in the center that connects to an arm that controls the stopper that seals the line. The arm is adjusted on the rod with a collar that has a thumb screw. Moving the collar up or down the rod adjusts the arm.

It's a little strange though. Even when I push the arm all the way up to seal the gasket to the line, I still have water coming into the float box.

Mark

DocsMapleSyrup
01-02-2017, 09:40 PM
Sounds like something is wrong with the gasket seal in the float box. When you lift up on the arm, it should shut off the flow from the head tank.

Aa2tn
01-02-2017, 10:49 PM
If this is a new setup and you were not familiar with a float box, maybe you did not have a gasket in place when you put it together. Check and see what is in there.....

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
01-03-2017, 07:15 AM
or the gasket is missing?

whity
01-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Test boiled our Bill Mason Drop tube pans..

SeanD
01-03-2017, 05:40 PM
or the gasket is missing?

That's my bet. The problem is definitely with the gasket (or lack of one, or maybe it's torn). When you look in the cup-shaped part attached to the arm, there should be some kind of soft gasket material that gets pressed up against the bottom of the inlet pipe. Mine is held in place with a screw and washer. Take a look in there to find your problem. The really good news is, if it is the gasket, it's a super simple fix.