PDA

View Full Version : Lease on State Land.

n8hutch
01-02-2017, 02:17 PM
There is what I Believe to be a State owned lot near my sugarhouse that has the potential to be a nice Sugarbush. It is only a 1/4 miles from my House so it would be very desirable to me for a Lease.

So my Question is Does anybody have a Maple Tapping Lease on State Land and if So who should I be Looking to Contact? Thanks for any suggestions.

tuckermtn
01-02-2017, 04:05 PM
the state of NH does have a few maple leases - not sure if your area is covered by the office at Bear Brook or by Bob Harde at the state nursery . best bet is to contact Will Guinn at Div. of Forest and Lands HQ in Concord at 271-2214 Ext. 326

you can check out the state lands map at https://www.nhdfl.org/library/pdf/Statemap-Sept%202007.pdf
- looks like most of Chatham is WMNF - they do leases as well

n8hutch
01-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Thanks Eric the lot in question is in the town of Conway. I will give that number a call, there sure is a lot of maples on the National forest in my neighborhood, everyone I have spoke with so far has told me that the national forest has been real difficult to work with when it comes to new leases. Perhaps I just haven't spoken with the right person.

Ridgeland Farm
01-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Hope you have better luck than I did. Have some state land near me. Called up to inquire about tapping it. The rules they had in place for tapping state land were ridiculous. And they didn't really sound all that thrilled to work with a sugar producer. It also will depend on forester in charge of that piece. The guy I talked to said a lot of foresters don't want to give up timber value. I eventually gave up. sorry to be a downer. Just my experience with them. I really hope you can work something out.

Maple Man 85
01-12-2017, 06:14 PM
I would be concerned with the general public entering the property and vandalizing a tubing system or any other equipment being that state owned land is publicly open.

Hop Kiln Road
01-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Guys, I have recently had a conversation with DRED on leasing taps on NH lands and their totally antiquated tapping policy. They claim it is a new day. Contact me via our website and I'll give you the details. Bruce

n8hutch
01-13-2017, 07:26 PM
I would be concerned with the general public entering the property and vandalizing a tubing system or any other equipment being that state owned land is publicly open.

Unlike other parts of the country much of New Hampshire is still open and unposted land. So this concern could be true just about anywhere. Only the new people to town post their land around here. I can live with that as Long as they have the courtesy to stay off mine.

n8hutch
01-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Guys, I have recently had a conversation with DRED on leasing taps on NH lands and their totally antiquated tapping policy. They claim it is a new day. Contact me via our website and I'll give you the details. Bruce
That's great I'll be in touch.