PDA

View Full Version : How do I know when sap is bad???????????????????????????????

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Due to the warm weather we have had here so early and no freezing for a week with temps 60+ every day and 70 today, it is supposed to get really cold next week for a few days and the sap should start running again after that.

I have always quit in the past before the sap got bad and I have never been in this situation before where it got so warm so early. How do I know when the sap is bad?? The red maples are starting to bud, but not the sugars and I only have 3 or 4 reds tapped that I can pull out those taps tommorrow in the reds??

Help please :?: :?: :?: :? :?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Jeremy,

Thanks! I have seen bad sap before because I accidently left some in a bucket for a couple of weeks and it smelled bad and looked about as bad. Hope the season is still on because the end of next week and the following week look awful good and I still haven't had a good run yet. :? :? :? :(

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2004, 01:51 PM
How do you know when the sap is buddy and you can know longer made Grade A syrup and the season is done??

Does it have a bitter or bad taste??????????????????

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Does sap have the same flavor as off flavored syrup??

powerdub
03-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Try taking one those budding red maples, break off a bud and chew on it. Now take a tast of your sap, if they taste the same I'd say the sap is bad. :wink:

jfrano
03-16-2004, 11:56 PM
How long should I wait before boiling sap? Can I keep it refrigerated for a period of time?

Joe

syrupmaker
03-17-2004, 12:33 AM
Joe...Its always best to boil sap ASAP but if your collecting small amounts as some of use had been till now keeping it refridgerated will help hold it for a period of time. 4-5 days. If you have the room fill up some jugs and freeze it if you are talking small amounts.How do plan on boiling it? Stove top? Turkey cooker? If you do it inside the house beware of the high humidity it will cause in the house.Wall paper and paint have been known to peel. Really impresses the family. :cry:

Rick