PDA

View Full Version : CTS poly fittings for mainline

bmbmkr
01-02-2017, 08:35 AM
My first time running mainline, I bought 1500' of CDL 3/4" got it stretched out through the woods, working on straining wire & side ties & what not, my Dad came down to look, and he gave me a 200' roll of 1" line he had in the barn. Well I got it rolled out, from the sugar shack, up the hill and got it wired up. Yesterday when I went to connect it to the 3/4 with a plastic INS 1" to 3/4" fitting, the 1" end was way too big, I measured the ID with my calipers, and it's .875 - 7/8's turns out this 200' roll is CTS- copper tube size water service line. So much for the gift horse. Does anyone know if they make a fitting to reduce 1" poly CTS to 3/4 mainline? I've been all over the internet looking, it's a 30 min ride to town, I figured I'd catch a few plumbers interest here first, thanks in advance for any advice.

maple flats
01-02-2017, 11:29 AM
That should still work OK. Try using pvc barb fittings and if necessary, make a slight additional taper on the 7/8 side (I only use SS barb fittings, but they are bigger sized, likely not a good choice when you need to stretch the diameter that much). Then if also needed, use a thermos of hot water, but only hold it in the hot water at a angle, so about 1/3 stays cold. That helps keep the tubing from kinking. It will stretch and then use hose clamps to hold it. Sometimes that is helped by pouring some of the hot water over the assembly so the clamps press the tubing onto the barbs better. You may find it easiest if you warm the big end as described and then use a leather or rubber mallet to drive it on, then connect the small end last.

miohman
01-02-2017, 08:52 PM
You could try going up a size and heating a little and expanding it with a pex expander. Sometimes you can cheat tubing onto larger fittings that way

bmbmkr
01-02-2017, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the answers fellas,you guys are helpful as usual, I was able to find a compression fitting for the 1" CTS, with female NPT threads,and a male IPS-female-Npt- so it's hooked up, hopefully finish the rest of the mainline this week. Today I got a 200' spur wired up and another 200' of the 3/4 main tightened, it's 20-25' over top of a holler,had to do some acrobatics with the side tying to keep her runnin downhill with no sags. Tomorrow,another 200' that crosses another holler, and parallels a rock cliff, all about 20-30' off the ground. This is definitely a test of my ol bones and that gravity thing!