PDA

View Full Version : Blower Speed Control

johnpma
12-30-2016, 01:45 PM
Does anyone know the proper way to control the blower speed for a 120V blower? I want to be able to regulate speeds variably from high to low I'm told a simple dimmer switch will not work with a blower.

wnybassman
12-30-2016, 02:19 PM
Does anyone know the proper way to control the blower speed for a 120V blower? I want to be able to regulate speeds variably from high to low I'm told a simple dimmer switch will not work with a blower.

A simple dimmer switch has worked very well with my squirrel cage blower for two years now. I don't have the specifics offhand on the blower, but the dimmer I believe is just a 15a rated switch.

RIVERWINDS
12-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Not sure what kind of blower you're looking to control but I control both my AUF and AOF blowers from a switch assembly. My AOF is just on or off, and AUF is controlled by the Vari Speed switch. The Vari Speed controllers come in different ratings so size accordingly. Here's how I wired mine (see picture) feed comes in back of top box (this plugs into standard outlet) and gives power to both switches, wires going to blowers exit the bottom box. I just used old extension cords.

psparr
12-30-2016, 03:38 PM
I can't take credit for this, but in another post here somewhere a fellow put his blower in a wooden box with two outlets. One for the high pressure and the other for auf. He had a simple damper that he could slide to either restrict or increase the flow. But the best part of he whole setup was the lid. When loading wood he would simply close the lid cutting off all air to the blower instantly. Loaded the firebox, and opened the lid.

RileySugarbush
12-30-2016, 04:34 PM
I'm that guy. I'm glad you like the setup. I have replaced that one with a new blower, but it did work good. A couple of big advantages:

- The shut off and on is instant. No waiting for the blower to spin down and up.

- The blower keeps running, so there is no inrush current. You know, the part that dims the lights!

- Shutting off the inlet ( or throttling it by varying the opening) is efficient, since it starves the blower of air and that drops both the air flow and the current.

- Having the blower in a box can make it quieter.

My old one used two blowers, one high pressure for AOF and one low pressure for under fire. Independent control of each.

My new setup uses a bounce house blower, which has higher pressure and flow. I use a single shut off on the inlet for firing, and I bleed off some air for low pressure under fire, adjusted with a 4" blast gate. The bounce house blower has higher output pressure and works better for my AOF. I have that in a box as well, but made a quicker shutoff flapper.

Here is a youtube link to when I set up the first arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhiEyMjVx5g

johnpma
12-30-2016, 05:53 PM
Not sure of the make model of the blower but iis the standard b lower on a Mason 2 X 3 evaporator I plug it in and MAN it cranks!! I want to be able to "tone" it down

bmbmkr
12-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Look in a wood working catalog and find a router speed control, it plugs in 110v, you plug your blower into it and it has a rheostat knob- last one I bought was about $15 if i remember right

johnpma
12-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Look in a wood working catalog and find a router speed control, it plugs in 110v, you plug your blower into it and it has a rheostat knob- last one I bought was about $15 if i remember right I likwe that! Awesome! Thank you great idea

wiam
12-30-2016, 06:53 PM
I ran the blower on my 2x6 for many years with a cheap lowes dimmer switch. No problems.

troynh
12-30-2016, 07:02 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U3LD1WA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Tim

Woodsrover
12-31-2016, 03:53 AM
I used this one from Grainger on mine. Works well.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/15W819_AS01?$zmmain$

Chickenman
12-31-2016, 05:24 AM
I'm using a router speed control from harbor freight. I think I paid $12 for it and its a plug and play. Rocker switch on the unit allows for vari speed, off and full speed. cost is less then a price of a good dimmer switch and no additional wiring needed.

johnpma
01-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Bought one of sleeze-bay (ebay :) ) seems it will work out just fine....thank you

stoweski
01-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Are people using the speed controllers even on blower motors that say not to use one? I bought a Dayton blower to use and there is a warning on it not to hook it to a speed control. Anyone know a reason why we shouldn't?

Super Sapper
01-11-2017, 05:30 AM
It will shorten the life of the motor if it is not rated to run on a speed controller. The more you slow it down the more it will heat up and the fan also runs slower at lower speeds so it cools less.

Wanabe1972
01-11-2017, 06:39 AM
I know you shouldn't run a speed controller on an ac motor but I've had the same motor on a speed controller going on 8 years with no problems.