PDA

View Full Version : Delaval 76

Liray
12-29-2016, 03:10 PM
How can I convert a drip Delaval 76 to a flood to get higher vacuum

upsmapleman
12-30-2016, 01:16 PM
I have a model 78 and not sure how close they are to being the same desing. First you need a reclaimer. My pump has a 2" street L on the inlet side. This has 2, 1/4" holes tapped into it. The first is hooked to the filter which is in line to the bottom of the reclaimer. The second is hooked to a 1/4" line which goes to the bottom of the top part of the reclaimer. I bought this used so not sure if you need to change or plug anything where the drip lines use to be.

BreezyHill
01-02-2017, 09:40 AM
a D-76 is like a 1 ton truck and a D-78 is like a 10 wheeler.

To convert the pump you will need to install a dripper in the intake of the pump. use a 12" nipple then add a tee to the nipple on then a closeup nipple onto the tee and your swing check valve. Then attach your check to your releaser.

The 12" will give you a better air flow into the pump and have the oil distribute better in the air flow. The length will also disapate more heat so the dripper will not be affected as much by the pumps temp. while running.

use a bushing in the tee to adapt to your drippers thread size and feed the dripper with a copper line. Plastic is known for melting and is not recommended in high vac system designs.

Copper will also dissipate heat and you will feed the pump cool oil and maximize your oils cooling capacity.

Flood is just a mater of totally coating the vanes with oil to seal the three sides as much as possible.

Over feeding oil will increase pump temperature and reduce the sealing capacity of the oil. a good liquid filled vac gauge will help you find the perfect amount of oil to feed your pump.

I also install a ball valve in the system so that I can close off the pump in the off season. I install it between the check and the dripper to allow the pump to sit in oil in the off season. A small amount of oil left in the pump helps to fight rusting of the housing.

BreezyHill
01-02-2017, 10:08 AM
a D-76 is like a 1 ton truck and a D-78 is like a 10 wheeler.

To convert the pump you will need to install a dripper in the intake of the pump. use a 12" nipple then add a tee to the nipple on then a closeup nipple onto the tee and your swing check valve. Then attach your check to your releaser.

The 12" will give you a better air flow into the pump and have the oil distribute better in the air flow. The length will also disapate more heat so the dripper will not be affected as much by the pumps temp. while running.

use a bushing in the tee to adapt to your drippers thread size and feed the dripper with a copper line. Plastic is known for melting and is not recommended in high vac system designs.

Copper will also dissipate heat and you will feed the pump cool oil and maximize your oils cooling capacity.

Flood is just a mater of totally coating the vanes with oil to seal the three sides as much as possible.

Over feeding oil will increase pump temperature and reduce the sealing capacity of the oil. a good liquid filled vac gauge will help you find the perfect amount of oil to feed your pump.

I also install a ball valve in the system so that I can close off the pump in the off season. I install it between the check and the dripper to allow the pump to sit in oil in the off season. A small amount of oil left in the pump helps to fight rusting of the housing.

Liray
01-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Thanks Guys. I will try your suggestions

jetdoc
01-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Liray,
This is how our drip system is connected to our Delaval 76 pump. Our vacuum guy told us to run one drip per second on the bearings and around two drips or more on the intake side of the pump. You will have to experiment a little with it to get it set correctly. We pull around 22 - 25 Hg on the pump and have a little 8" fan blowing on the pump and can run it like that all day long.1498314984

Liray
01-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Thanks jetdoc. Is the oil reclaimer home made or factory built?

jetdoc
01-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Factory built. We got it all from our local dairy supply.

Haynes Forest Products
01-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Liray First your pump is capable of higher vacuum with out the flood oil system BUT it will also create more heat. Flood oil will help cool the pump and protect the vanes first and bearings second. There is a point that to much oil wont help you and even hinder your pumps performance. Oil or any liquid for that matter can only absorb so much heat in a given time frame. So if the oil comes in and goes out before it can absorb the maximum amount of heat that its capable of then its a waste. Now because your reclaiming the oil its not going to waste but to mush oil takes up air space so CFM's can go down and the vanes can hydroplane and not seal as well as you want causing lower HG's.You will need to find the sweet spot once your rig is up and running. That sweet spot is good cooling, max vacuum and high CFM's plus will your re claimer keep up with demand.